Saturday, November 8, 2008

The Saturday Seven: Facts About Cary Grant

One of the things I enjoy about living in Palm Springs is the multitude of old Hollywood history that can be found nearly everywhere. I recently had dinner at one of my favorite restaurants, Copley's on Palm Canyon, which is at the former home of Cary Grant. This was the inspiration for this week's scintillating edition of The Saturday Seven: Facts About Cary Grant. Mr Grant was perhaps one of the greatest leading men on the silver screen. With a film career that spanned over thirty years, he made an indelible mark on Hollywood. With over 45 films, some of his best known include: That Touch of Mink (1962), Operation Petticoat (1959), North by Northwest (1959), Indiscreet (1958), To Catch A Thief (1955), People Will Talk (1951) The Bishops Wife (1947), Night and Day (1946), The Philadelphia Story (1940) and the very early She Done Him Wrong with Mae West (1933). Here are The Saturday Seven Facts About Cary Grant:
above: #1 Cary Grant had several homes in Palm Springs.

above #2 His real name was Archibald Alec Leach an American born in Britain.
above: #3 Married five times, Cary Grant had just one daughter, Jennifer in 1966 by his fourth wife, actress Dyan Cannon
above: #4 writer Ian Fleming modeled the James Bond character after Cary Grant

above: #5 Grant was nominated for two Academy Awards in 1941 and 1944 but did not win. He received an honorary Oscar in 1969.

above: #6 His estate was valued at $60 million when he died

above: #7 Rumors of being gay followed Grant for many years, due to his close friendships with fellow actors William Haines & Randolph Scott, but he denied such allegations.What are your favorite Cary Grant films, quotes or facts? Go ahead, leave a comment, it's fun and free!
-Rick Rockhill

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always thought Cary Grant was one the best actors ever! fun post today rick

snowelf said...

Cary Grant is super handsome. My favorite movie that I've seen with him in it is The Bishop's Wife. (I have The Philidephia Story coming from Netflix soon) I am a huge fan of his and Humphrey Bogart's movies. (Casablanca is my favorite movie of all time.)

Have a great weekend Rick and thanks for the fun Grant facts!!

--snow

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

love cary grant!!!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

OldLady Of The Hills said...

One of my VERY Favorite Films of Cary Grant is "NOTORIOUS", with Ingrid Bergman...an early Hitchcock film...And "SUSPICIAN"...Also Hitchcock, with Joan Fontaine....Of course, "TO CATCH A THIED" and "PENNY"S FROM HEAVEN, with Itene Dunne---A serious part for Grant and BEAUTIFULLY played, too---always brings me to tears!
Also "THE BISHOP'S WIFE"...Dear Dudley, the Angel...Loretta Young and David Niven ....The truth is there are so very many that it is hard to picj just one....!

kenju said...

I liked all his movies; just looking at him was a real treat!

Anonymous said...

Cary Grant...(swooning)!!!!!!!

WAT said...

I think Cary was bi! SO THERE!

A much better leading man than Jimmy Stewart and that annoying voice.

Olivia said...

I like all his films, but the ones that stand out for me are "North by Northwest" and "To Catch a Thief". He's so suave and debonair.

I like N by NW also because of how much they could get past the censors! The last time I watched it I was amazed and impressed that it was ahead of its time.

Anonymous said...

Bond's appearance was based by Fleming on musician/actor Hoagy Carmichael, composer of "Stardust".
-plus a couple scars.

("Stardust" was the most popular song of the first half of the 20th century, based on sheet music sales, which were used as the song popularity measurement tool in those times.)

Disclaimers...

This blog is about life experiences & observations and stuff I am interested in. It is simply a side hobby and creative outlet; generally, with a tongue-in-cheek tone. I don't take it too seriously, nor should you. I do not profess to represent every point of view. Nothing on this site is a paid post.

It is for entertainment purposes only it, so just lighten up and just enjoy it. Life is short, live in the moment.

As the author, thoughts/views have no affiliation to my clients, business colleagues or my company.

This blog is independent and free of any type of financial affiliations. Some images used are from the internet and sometimes hard to credit them, so if you own any and want them removed just send me a message.

No copyright infringement intended. I am not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious, or other laws from the reader’s country of origin or residence. The intention of this blog is to do no harm, defame, libel or offend anyone.