Saturday, March 23, 2013

How much is too much?

Throughout my life, entertaining at home has been a cherished tradition, for dear friends and new acquaintances. From London, Boston, New York, Chicago, San Diego to Palm Springs, I've always enjoyed hosting parties, dinners and intimate cocktail parties. Despite over 25 years of experience at it, I still struggle at one key component: how much food to serve

I suffer from what I call Italian Guilt. I loosely define it as the shame of running out of food, or even worse--what would someone say if I didn't have enough of a spread. Of course, in truth, noone in my social circle would truly be that judgmental, but being of Italian heritage, even the thought of embarrassment is enough to motivate me to bring out more food than can be consumed. 

But how much is too much? Take for instance, a normal dinner party. Before dinner, I usually serve cocktails, and have some snacky things on the coffee table. Cashews. Pistachios. Almonds. Cheese. Crackers. Salami. Is that enough? Well maybe some grapes for good measure. Oh and how about some sliced veggies? A few hot hors d'oeuvres as well? What if someone can't make it until dinner is served? The realization that I've gone too far usually happens sometime between when I squeeze it all on the table, and when my guests protest at the thought of anything further.

I truly enjoy entertaining, I just wish I could shed this Italian Guilt, even after 25 years of doing it.

2 comments:

Jean(ie) said...

LOL! But nothing is better than a good appetizer spread. Lots of tastes and choice.

Perhaps try something along the lines of tapas next time?

Desert Songbird said...

I'm of the "more is better than too little" mindset, too.

Maybe it's because I'm a mom. ;)

Disclaimers...

This blog is about life experiences & observations and stuff I am interested in. It is simply a side hobby and creative outlet; generally, with a tongue-in-cheek tone. I don't take it too seriously, nor should you. I do not profess to represent every point of view. Nothing on this site is a paid post.

It is for entertainment purposes only it, so just lighten up and just enjoy it. Life is short, live in the moment.

As the author, thoughts/views have no affiliation to my clients, business colleagues or my company.

This blog is independent and free of any type of financial affiliations. Some images used are from the internet and sometimes hard to credit them, so if you own any and want them removed just send me a message.

No copyright infringement intended. I am not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious, or other laws from the reader’s country of origin or residence. The intention of this blog is to do no harm, defame, libel or offend anyone.