Most people understand that good motivation is critical. But what is motivation? Motivation is when a person has the desire or willingness to DO something. However, people can have a desire to do something and still choose not to do anything. To make it real, we must turn the passion into action.
Story telling is an effective method in taking mere words and making them more real, or relatable. Share a genuine story to help illustrate your vision, and the reasons why you want a achieve a certain goal.
People also all have different passions for things they believe in, or mean something to them. In a perfect world, companies recruit, attract and hire people who have a passion for the mission of the company. People who love the cause, the product or the purpose of the organization. When employee passions align to the company's purpose magic happens. However this is not always the case. As companies get larger, it becomes difficult to have 500, 1,500, 5,000 or 50,000 employees who all share the same passion.
The message here is not to let differences get in the way of being a good leader. When we allow our differences to get in the way, people shut down and stop listening. This is what it is so critical to ensure everyone in your group understands the mission, and what you all have in common.
Does your group, organization or company have more things that divide or unite you? What common goals do you all share? Is everyone aware of the POTENTIAL for commonality? I have seen many times where a company's own employees are not aligned on the common goal of the company, so be sure to look inward before trying to take action.
If you are trying to motivate consumers, or solicit any kind of external support, passions, along with emotions are factors in how people make decisions to take action.
|When you are trying to motivate people to take action, it is important to remember the role that emotions may play. Consider how people will feel and react to you. |
Remember the following:
- Emotions Influence Thought
- Emotions Trigger Physical Responses
- Emotions Determine Decisions
- Emotions Respond to Action
Here are my Top 10 Tips to Drive Engagement (ok its 11)
- Don’t be afraid to share your passions and reasons why.
- Motivation alone isn’t enough. You must inspire others.
- Don’t allow differences of opinion to stop all progress or action.
- Eliminate unnecessary distractions and noise.
- Anticipate what emotions are most likely to trigger.
- Offering solutions to problems increases engagement.
- Be authentic, genuine and take time tell the backstory.
- Always make your message relatable and as real as possible.
- Find common ground joy to bring people together.
- Go Big or Go Home. If its worth doing, do it right.
- Use your story or cause to engage and inspire people.