Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Koshimi Comes Home Again

On this last day of December, the final day of 2008 I decided to write one more post in memory of my beloved Koshimi. You see, yesterday I went back to the vet's office to bring Sheldon for his surgery to be neutered. It was difficult to be back; the last time I was there it was to put Koshimi to sleep. Once I dropped off Sheldon I went to the reception area to pick up Koshimi's ashes, which were being held since he was cremated last week. I didn't know what to expect but I definitely was not ready for it. The vet tech was very considerate and expressed her sympathy as she handed over a large brown paper bag that was labeled with Koshimi's name and the date of his cremation. As I took the bag in my hands, it felt much heavier than I expected. I still had not opened the brown bag yet, but I started to get a little teary so I made a mad dash for the door to get to our car. Once in the car I opened the brown paper bag- there I saw the most beautiful cedar wooden box, with brass hinges, secured shut with a brass pad-lock. I was immediately reduced to tears as I gazed down at this little box that contained the remains of my beloved dog. I sobbed for awhile, feeling overwhelmed again with sadness. In addition to the box, there was a nice certificate of cremation, stating that my pet was "respectfully handled and cremated" (see below). They also included a little green sheet of paper, rolled up with two poems on either side. I wanted to share them here and tried to type them here for you several times but it was just too much for me to handle. All I can say is they are the most beautiful poems for people who love their pets. Anyway once I got home, I found a nice spot in the house for Shimi's ashes. His beautiful cedar wooden box now rests in our library where he used to like to curl up next to me. On top of the box is a photo of him, young and vibrant- how I shall always remember him. He was my best bud, and I miss him so very much.

We are grateful to have Owen and Sheldon in our lives, both are wonderful pets and members of the family. Having Koshimi's ashes here at home will help to bring some closure for me. It just feels better having his final resting place with us. I feel like I can now close this year and enter 2009 with a sense of peace. Thanks for reading today, sorry to bring things down. Tomorrow I'll be back with a New Year's Day video, I hope you can join me then.
-Rick Rockhill

20 comments:

WAT said...

Well, that is a pretty box, and I love Koshimi's pic as a youngster.

It's okay to be sad. He was your buddy for crying out loud, so it will take a while.

Karelian Blonde said...

*welling up* thank you for sharing Rick!

Happy New Year 2009 :)

Desert Songbird said...

Aw, Rick, this brought tears to my eyes all over again. I'm glad you got to bring Koshimi home again for the final time.

Rhodester said...

*sigh*

My word, Rick, I'm sorry.. but you have him there with you. He couldn't have asked for a better dad.

Scott in Iowa said...

I'm sorry you had to re-live that experience over again, Rick.
I'm sure one of those poems is "The Rainbow Bridge"
It would bring anyone to tears just reading it, whether they had ever had a pet or not.

Happy New Year to you and I hope 2009 is a great one for you!

Cheryl said...

I'm so sorry for your loss and the sadness you feel. I hope Koshimi is romping around in heaven, as happy as can be. Happy New Year, Rick.

A Lewis said...

Oh man, that must have been a reeeaalllyyy tough day. I cannot imagine. I send you good energy and thoughts for comfort in the dark spots of your life. Happiest of New Years.

A Lewis said...

Oh man, that must have been a reeeaalllyyy tough day. I cannot imagine. I send you good energy and thoughts for comfort in the dark spots of your life. Happiest of New Years.

lime said...

there is certainly no need to apologize. hugs to you and gentle pats to sheldon as he recovers.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I understand completely ALL that you are feeling, my dear Rick...I know it feels really good to have your beloved pal back with you......May he Rest In Peace.
Big Hugs to you, dear Rick.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

what a lovely thing for them to do! i had not the same thing happen. when i lost my cat at the vet's office some years back i took him home and we had a funeral in the back yard. a few weeks later i got a card in the mail telling me to bring him in for his shots. that is not a good vet. their answer? the computer did it. yeah. right.

happy new year rick. i'll be back tomorrow for the video!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

oh gosh that must be difficult. I remember when our dog was hit by a car the kids were so upset because it ended to suddenly. I was always yelling to keep the door closed but one day the dog escaped and the poor thing ran into the street. We buried him in our yard which became place the kids went to sit and visit for a long time. Anyway, my heart goes out to you.

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

It's scary how long it takes to quit tearing up over a beloved pet, but I hope having Koshimi home again helps.

I had my Tidbit cremated and her ashes put in a wooden box urn with a window for displaying pictures. Some would think it morbid or strange, but I can pause in my comings and goings and give her a little pat and tell her I still love her and miss her terribly.

We find our own ways to deal with the pain of loss as we move through this crazy world. I love that picture of Koshimi as a youngster, and I hope having him home where you can tell him you love him (when no one's looking, of course) helps you adjust to being without your buddy. The ashes are the least important part of what make our friends our friends, but we're just dumb humans, and sometimes it's the symbol that pulls us through.

P.L. Frederick said...

Hi, Rick. I came over to wish you a joyful new year and am sorry to learn about Koshimi's death. I'm sorry for your loss. Closure is most important and fortunately, your vet's office is very caring. At times like this, what you experience in yourself and with others, truly matters. You might also want to pay attention to any dreams you have about Koshimi. They can be a source of comfort.

I'll try this again: A most joyous 2009 to you and yours! :)

Anonymous said...

Big hugs, Rick...big hugs...

Scooter said...

I was so sorry to hear about Koshimi. But I know you gave him a great life and a wonderful home. :' (

Scooter said...

I was so sorry to hear about Koshimi. But I know you gave him a great life and a wonderful home. :' (

Tea N. Crumpet said...

Hugs to you, Rick!

Olivia said...

What sensitive handling of your situation on their part. I am sure you are grateful to have your pets registered with such a nice office.

Sheila said...

I had my beloved Samantha cremated too. The vet included a copy of the Rainbow Bridge. While I can love other dogs, I know I will never love a dog like her. I am sorry for your loss.

Disclaimers...

This blog is about life experiences & observations and stuff I am interested in. It is simply a side hobby and creative outlet; generally, with a tongue-in-cheek tone. I don't take it too seriously, nor should you. I do not profess to represent every point of view. Nothing on this site is a paid post.

It is for entertainment purposes only it, so just lighten up and just enjoy it. Life is short, live in the moment.

As the author, thoughts/views have no affiliation to my clients, business colleagues or my company.

This blog is independent and free of any type of financial affiliations. Some images used are from the internet and sometimes hard to credit them, so if you own any and want them removed just send me a message.

No copyright infringement intended. I am not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious, or other laws from the reader’s country of origin or residence. The intention of this blog is to do no harm, defame, libel or offend anyone.