Tuesday, June 28, 2011

I've Discovered Downton Abbey

For as long as I can recall, I've considered myself a bit of an Anglophile. (Our friends at Wikipedia define Anglophile as someone who is fond of English Culture). At any rate, I am one. I've long been a fan of Masterpiece Theatre, the venerable PBS series that has featured the best of the best television programming, in my humble opinion. That series alone makes the dreadful fundraising drives worth the torture. For some unknown reason, I've not watched much television at all- never mind Masterpiece Theatre. Well anyway, I stumbled on a British drama series called 'Downton Abbey'. It is a magnificent British period piece storyline, so if you love that sort of thing, run-don't walk to download it from iTunes.

I won't even try to tell the entire story, or give away the plot, but in short Downton Abbey follows the lives of two groups of people; the fictitious Earl and Countess of Grantham and their aristocratic Crawley family, as well as their household servants and staff. It is broadly similar to the old 'Upstairs, Downstairs' series. The story kicks off with news of the Titanic sinking, and its impact to the family. The rest, my gentle reader, you will need to watch to find out. Suffice to say, it would certainly not make this blog if the Palm Springs Savant didn't feel it was up to scratch!

If you are looking for a nice story to watch, download Downton Abbey season one. Make yourself a nice batch of tea and settle in for a really great series.
-Rick Rockhill

2 comments:

Kanani said...

I love Downton Abbey, have watched it over and over again on the PBS website, as well as on Netflix. It's so much fun, and one really ends up caring about the characters and the estate!

Tea said...

Hi Rick

I also have discovered that show. Can't wait for season two!
Are you in LA for Will and Kate? LA is apparently tripping over themselves in anticipation of their visit. Even though they are wealthy themselves, I imagine it will be quite an experience for them to witness the celebrity and power there.
They didn't get around near my area, but seeing the pictures of them here was wonderful.

Tea
xo

Disclaimers...

This blog is about life experiences & observations and stuff I am interested in. It is simply a side hobby and creative outlet; generally, with a tongue-in-cheek tone. I don't take it too seriously, nor should you. I do not profess to represent every point of view. Nothing on this site is a paid post.

It is for entertainment purposes only it, so just lighten up and just enjoy it. Life is short, live in the moment.

As the author, thoughts/views have no affiliation to my clients, business colleagues or my company.

This blog is independent and free of any type of financial affiliations. Some images used are from the internet and sometimes hard to credit them, so if you own any and want them removed just send me a message.

No copyright infringement intended. I am not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious, or other laws from the reader’s country of origin or residence. The intention of this blog is to do no harm, defame, libel or offend anyone.