Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The Power of Positive Thinking

When I was a kid, I read a biography of President Abraham Lincoln, who was something of a hero to me as early as 5th grade. I remember reading some quote attributed to him that was something like: "Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be". Even as a kid, that made an enormous impression upon me, and I understood from a young age the importance of choosing one's attitude, and the importance of having a positive outlook on life. 

While I was blessed with a very good family, my life was about as normal as most American kids growing up in New England during the 1970's. Yet that simple quote from President Lincoln was hugely instructive to me, and has helped me overcome every hurdle, set back or negative thing that has come my way in life.

About ten years ago I began studying Buddhism out of pure interest. I was not seeking to change my faith, merely to broaden my understanding of world cultures and other people. I am not a Buddhist by practice, but I remain a student, so to speak. Early on in my studies I learned the importance of positive thinking. The notion that: "We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts, and with our thoughts we make our world" especially resonated with me. It reminded me of a similar lesson President Lincoln was giving from that quote. 

Whether one calls it the power or prayer, power of thoughts, or positive energy, it all stems from the same source in my opinion. These principles apply to personal life, business, career or family. If you dwell on what is wrong, or what could go wrong, or what went wrong, your mind--and world around you reflect that negative energy, and the laws of attraction tend to just bring more.

Like this sign reads above, "Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results". My life has been met with many similar challenges, disappointments, and sadness or loss as the next person, yet I have never-ever felt negative or as if life was unfair. In fact I've felt exactly the opposite. I consider myself truly blessed and the luckiest person in the world. Truly, most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. I just made up my mind many years ago to be happy. And that positive thinking has made all the difference.

No comments:

Disclaimers...

This blog is about life experiences & observations and stuff I am interested in. It is simply a side hobby and creative outlet; generally, with a tongue-in-cheek tone. I don't take it too seriously, nor should you. I do not profess to represent every point of view. Nothing on this site is a paid post.

It is for entertainment purposes only it, so just lighten up and just enjoy it. Life is short, live in the moment.

As the author, thoughts/views have no affiliation to my clients, business colleagues or my company.

This blog is independent and free of any type of financial affiliations. Some images used are from the internet and sometimes hard to credit them, so if you own any and want them removed just send me a message.

No copyright infringement intended. I am not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious, or other laws from the reader’s country of origin or residence. The intention of this blog is to do no harm, defame, libel or offend anyone.