Monday, August 3, 2009

Sushi, Palm Spring Style

Saturday night we went out for sushi with friends to Okura restaurant in downtown Palm Springs. I wouldn't say I'm the world's biggest sushi fan, but I enjoy it from time to time. As long as there is nothing too exotic, like sea urchin or anything still alive or with eyes on it. For some reason on Saturday I had a hankering for good sushi. Okura is a locally owned sushi place with two locations in the Coachella Valley, although I've only ever been to the Palm Springs location. The decor is hip and contemporary, in fact it looks more like it belongs in LA or NY than our tiny desert community. Aside from excellent quality sushi, I love the vibe and energy of the place. It has great mood lighting, lively music and cozy seating makes for an ideal night out. As it was still somewhere around 500 degrees out at 7:30 PM, we elected to dine inside. I had a refreshing vodka martini to start things off. I figure the vodka kills any potential bad things from eating raw fish. The four of us were in a jovial mood and had a great time. We ordered way too much food. Miso soup, cucumber salad, edamame, sashimi, sushi, and four specialty rolls, sliced into 8 pieces per roll. So we had 32 slices of rolls, plus 12 pieces of sushi and 18 pieces of sashimi. We finished it all. Yup, four little piggies.

above: this alone would have been plenty of food for the four of us. But of course we had far more than just this. It was a fun evening. No room for coffee or desert though, which is a pity. If you ever get to Palm Springs, I'd recommend Okura, it is worth the trip!
-Rick Rockhill

8 comments:

Karelian Blonde said...

I love sushi and thank you for the pictures. Looks good :)

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

oh no, not me! no way! now little lala loves the stuff but not me...

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

KathyA said...

You know, sitting outside would have cooked the sushi! I eat it, but only the cooked stuff.

Desert Songbird said...

I know it's low in fat, it looks lovely, but I have yet to gather the courage to try sushi. Something about raw seafood and seaweed...

Cheryl said...

I don't eat sushi, but I think it looks like art.

Scott in Iowa said...

Mmmm, sushi!

snowelf said...

If I ever make it out to Palm Springs, I think that'd be a great reason to go there. ;)

--snow

John Flynn-Group One said...

Hey Rick-time flies! have you tried try Ota-Ya in Lambertville NJ? Sumptuous!

Disclaimers...

This blog is about life experiences & observations and stuff I am interested in. It is simply a side hobby and creative outlet; generally, with a tongue-in-cheek tone. I don't take it too seriously, nor should you. I do not profess to represent every point of view. Nothing on this site is a paid post.

It is for entertainment purposes only it, so just lighten up and just enjoy it. Life is short, live in the moment.

As the author, thoughts/views have no affiliation to my clients, business colleagues or my company.

This blog is independent and free of any type of financial affiliations. Some images used are from the internet and sometimes hard to credit them, so if you own any and want them removed just send me a message.

No copyright infringement intended. I am not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious, or other laws from the reader’s country of origin or residence. The intention of this blog is to do no harm, defame, libel or offend anyone.