Sunday, August 31, 2008

Sunday Art Review: Vintage War Art

I spent part of yesterday watching a few vintage black and white films, made roughly during and just after WWII. Hollywood played quite a role with propaganda to support people's opinion of the war effort. (In the context of this post, "propaganda" is not implied as a bad thing). I am certainly not glorifying war by any means, and I have great respect for our armed servicepeople. (Regular readers know that I generally avoid controversial topics on this blog, as it is intended only as light entertainment). Anyway, after watching those vintage war era films, I was inspired to do some research online, which eventually led me to a series of propaganda war posters, which was the inspiration of this week's Sunday Art Review: Vintage War Art
above left: "Join the Navy" & above right "King & Country"

above left: "Will You Have a Part" & above right:"The Kitchen"
above left: "Defend American Freedom" & above right: "Women of Britain"

above left: "Fight or Buy Bonds" & above right" Keep Em Flying"

above left: "Man the Guns" & above right: 'Let Em have It"

above left: "Loose Lips" & above right: "Our Flag"

above left: "We're in the Army Now" & above right: Come into the Factories"
above: The famous "We Can Do It!" poster, which is still an inspiration to millions of women today.
Which Vintage Art do you like best? Go ahead, leave a comment, it is a long holiday weekend and you have plenty of time!
-Rick Rockhill

14 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

rick i love this post but it saddens me deeply as hollywood no longer shows this support. there are many actors that i will no longer watch because of their remarks and actions. i wish they would just act and leave the politicalness to the politicians. i had forgotten a lot of these posters. thanks for the reminder!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoox

lime said...

good collection of the period. i was always fond of the rosie the riveter poster. but the loose lips sink ships one....i can also remember my grandfather (a ww2 navy vet) using the "loose lips sink ships" phrase when he meant to keep a secret.

A Lewis said...

Funny, how things don't change all that much in spite of the fact that we think we're all in the year 2008. Not so much, really.

Rick Rockhill said...

Bee- I know JUST what you mean and totally agree. There are quite a few that I literally can't stand to even hear speak because of their views.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

The one I remember the most was not so much the Poster Art Work, but the "saying". Loose Lips Sink Ships....It was one that stuck in the miknd because it was a warning of sorts, and you didn't want to be resposible for something really bad gappening to our troops!
"Keep Them Flying" was another one I remember well, I think because they even made a movie using that slogan. Great idea, Rick!

Thanks so much for the Visit and your very sweet comment. Sometimes I look at those pictures now and think....Who was that girl??
I feel like I hadn't quite grown into myself yet....lol!

Casdok said...

Some very fine art work.
If course being a woman i do love the last one.

Anonymous said...

I love this post rick, it reminds me so much of my uncle who is a war vet. nice tribute

Jess said...

Such a lot of posters! I really like the one with the woman showing her muscle! LOL!

Anonymous said...

"Man the Guns" talk about a gun show- wow he has some nice guns for sure.

jbwritergirl said...

Hey there,
Thanks for stopping by my site. I've had a long break being busy with life but I'm feeling it again.
As for the posters I like the last one because it looks like she's flippin off the world.
Jacqui

Constance said...

Good Sunday morning to you, Rick. Came by to visit and say hello - and thank you for leaving the nice comment on my blog.

I like war art much better than I like the war itself :)
Great posters !

John Pangia said...

Great collection - We've added a link at Sid in the City [http://sidinthecity.blogspot.com/]

Marlupe said...

I also like the last entry, WE CAN DO IT ladies!

WAT said...

Irony being that while the Nazis had their own propaganda to further their evil interests, we as well had our own to unite the country into fighting them and the Japanese.

Disclaimers...

This blog is about life experiences & observations and stuff I am interested in. It is simply a side hobby and creative outlet; generally, with a tongue-in-cheek tone. I don't take it too seriously, nor should you. I do not profess to represent every point of view. Nothing on this site is a paid post.

It is for entertainment purposes only it, so just lighten up and just enjoy it. Life is short, live in the moment.

As the author, thoughts/views have no affiliation to my clients, business colleagues or my company.

This blog is independent and free of any type of financial affiliations. Some images used are from the internet and sometimes hard to credit them, so if you own any and want them removed just send me a message.

No copyright infringement intended. I am not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious, or other laws from the reader’s country of origin or residence. The intention of this blog is to do no harm, defame, libel or offend anyone.