Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Saturday Seven: Facts About The Moon

I returned home to Palm Springs last night after several days of travel for business. It was a productive and enjoyable trip, but its always good to be back home. I sat outside by the pool with a glass of wine in front of the fireplace, watching the flames dance around merrily. I leaned back in my chair and stared up at the desert sky. The stars softly dotted the dark expanse. It was punctuated by a waning crescent moon, with only about a 10% sliver showing, yet its glow was like a song in the night. I have always marveled at the moon's beauty. This became the inspiration for another scintillating edition of The Saturday Seven: Facts About The Moon.

1. The surface area of the moon is 14,658,000 square miles or 9.4 billion acres. which is about 1/4 the size of the Earth.

2. The Moon was formed about 4.5 billion years ago

3. The Moon is the Earth's only natural satellite and is the fifth largest natural satellite in the Solar System.

4. An Orange Moon is an effect caused by the atmosphere of the Earth.

5. The Moon makes a complete orbit around the Earth every 27.3 days. However, since the Earth is moving in its orbit about the Sun at the same time, it takes slightly longer for the Moon to show its same phase to Earth, which is about 29.5 days.

6. The Moon is the only body in our Solar System to which humans have travelled and landed.

7. During the lunar day, the surface temperature averages 107°C, and during the lunar night, it averages -153°C. YIKES.
Thanks for stopping by today. If you have a comment or fun fact about the Moon, please leave a comment!
-Rick Rockhill

7 comments:

A Lewis said...

There is nothin quite as beautiful as a moon..at any size, in any shape. I love looking at the dark night sky with the brightness of the moon shining through....

Anonymous said...

I like going for walks in the moonlight.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

the moon is made of green cheese.
there is a man in the moon!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxxoxoxo

ps: yes, princess is owned by carnival corp. same deal on all their lines!! woo hoo!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Welcome back from both your trips Rick....Sorry I haven't been by in a while...But, I am here now, my dear.
I am a "Moon Child" so I am quite effected by the phases of the moon...Especially when it is a FULL Moon...I LOVE to bay at the Full Moon...lol...it makes me feel better. Other than that, I have no other stories...!

kenju said...

I love seeing those big old red moon! It is always around here in October.

kenju said...

OOPS! Made a mistake.

Olivia said...

The moon is utterly mesmerising. I've watched it rise between tree branches so fast that I can actually follow it as it moves.

Disclaimers...

This blog is about life experiences & observations and stuff I am interested in. It is simply a side hobby and creative outlet; generally, with a tongue-in-cheek tone. I don't take it too seriously, nor should you. I do not profess to represent every point of view. Nothing on this site is a paid post.

It is for entertainment purposes only it, so just lighten up and just enjoy it. Life is short, live in the moment.

As the author, thoughts/views have no affiliation to my clients, business colleagues or my company.

This blog is independent and free of any type of financial affiliations. Some images used are from the internet and sometimes hard to credit them, so if you own any and want them removed just send me a message.

No copyright infringement intended. I am not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious, or other laws from the reader’s country of origin or residence. The intention of this blog is to do no harm, defame, libel or offend anyone.