Sunday, April 3, 2011

Rick's Roadshow: Hong Kong's Po Lin Monastery & Temple

Whenever I travel through Asia, I always try to visit a Buddhist temple if possible. The Po Lin Temple and Monastery on Hong Kong's Lantau island was an easy decision, as it is adjacent to the Big Buddha I visited (see yesterday's post). While I am not a Buddhist officially, I firmly subscribe to the teachings of Buddha, and also follow the teachings of HH The Dalai Lama. So visiting Buddhist temples has a special meaning to me, more than just as a tourist, but an opportunity to pray too. I hope you enjoy viewing these photos, it is truly a beautiful and inspirational place.
entrance gates leading to the monastery

beautiful lotus flower plants in the temple courtyard



I stopped to buy some incense to use while in the temples

lighting the incense...

then you bring it to the various parts of the temple to pray, then leave the incense
















you can see others doing the same. Pray, bow, leave incense sticks
















a close up to the entrance of the temple steps


check out the wonderful dragon columns....






















various Buddha statues for various causes...

I think this is a generic Buddha for family


all the lanterns and decorations hanging from the ceiling are beautiful








































































































































.













Well that's all for now, I'm afraid. My work travels keep me fully occupied so I shall close here. Tomorrow I'll post a few various photos from across Asia and wrap up Rick's Roadshow from Asia. Thanks for stopping by!


3 comments:

Karelian Blonde said...

Thank you for sharing Mr Rockhill! I for one have enjoyed these posts from Asia :)

Anonymous said...

Thank yhou for sharing the incense prayer ritual. I learned something from that. The Bhuddist temples are so beautiful like our cathredrals. All for the glory of faith...

Safe travels and thanks for taking us along and especially during this very private moment of prayer.

KathyA said...

What a wonderful place to meditate and pray. The flowers and citrus trees...!!!

Disclaimers...

This blog is about life experiences & observations and stuff I am interested in. It is simply a side hobby and creative outlet; generally, with a tongue-in-cheek tone. I don't take it too seriously, nor should you. I do not profess to represent every point of view. Nothing on this site is a paid post.

It is for entertainment purposes only it, so just lighten up and just enjoy it. Life is short, live in the moment.

As the author, thoughts/views have no affiliation to my clients, business colleagues or my company.

This blog is independent and free of any type of financial affiliations. Some images used are from the internet and sometimes hard to credit them, so if you own any and want them removed just send me a message.

No copyright infringement intended. I am not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious, or other laws from the reader’s country of origin or residence. The intention of this blog is to do no harm, defame, libel or offend anyone.