Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Saturday Seven: Birds That Will Make You Smile

Late last night I was surfing the web and came across a story about a psychic bird and was quite amused. I ended up digging up all sorts of fun things on the Internet about birds which became a source of entertainment for the remainder of the night. This was the inspiration for another scintillating edition of The Saturday Seven: Birds That Will Make You Smile. #1 "N'kisi" the Congo African Gray Parrot. The parrot's owner claims the bird is demonstrates psychic abilities. N'kisi has a vocabulary of about 950 words and can use them in coherent sentences to communicate with people. She is thought to be the most advanced users of the English language in the animal kingdom! I only wish I could find video of her.
#2 "Mr Yosuke Nakamura, the African Grey Parrot. He had been missing for two weeks after flying off a roof top at his home near Tokyo. The local police found him, but the bird didn't speak, so they transferred him to a veterinary clinic, where he opened up and started to talk again. Here is the amazing part: the bird introduced himself as "Mr Yosuke Nakamura, sang a few songs and then proceeded to tell the vet where he lived. He even included the address and street number. When the police checked the family name living at that address, it was the same last name he introduced himself as, so he was reunited with him family. Can you imagine?
#3 Willie the Parrot: He helped save the life of a toddler girl who was choking on pop tarts. Willie the parrot saw the little girl choking and started screaming and flapping his wings.Then Willie started shouting 'mama baby' over and over and over again which attracted the attention of the baby sitter. The sitter saw the young child choking and was able to perform the Heimlich maneuver to save the little girl. I just love stories like that.

#4 Yankee Doodle Dandy" singing bird



#5 "You Are My Sunshine" singing bird"



#6 The National Anthem singing bird (well sort of)



#7 Amazing Bird Tricks



I hope at least one of these seven birds made you smile. Happy Saturday!
-Rick Rockhill

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite story is the of Mr. Yosuke Nakamura... that one made me smile...HOW cool!

I think we humans tend to underestimate the intelligence of some animals...

snowelf said...

Oh my gosh--I haven't watched the videos yet, but those birds are amazing! I love the one who was yelling "baby's mama". Too funny and with a happy ending! :)

--snow

KathyA said...

They all did!

Maggie Moo said...

Birds amaze me. Aren't their brains really small-like the size of a pea or something? Just amazing...Boozle had me cracking up out loud. The way he/she?? lifted her little foot and opened her claw with feeling during the song-holy cow, SO funny!!!

I need to find a friend with a bird. :)

B said...

cute cute cute!!!

Thank you for not calling me a cougar LOL :)

Catch said...

what a cool post Rick!!! I loved the videos!!! I think those birds are so cute and so intelligent but I cant stand to think of cleaning out the birdcage!!! lol

Mo and The Purries said...

When we had a pet store in town (it closed, like most everything) there was a grey parrot who would say "Hello, welcome aboard" when you entered the shop.
I always wondered if he'd lived on a ship or with a flight attendant previously!

Olivia said...

I love the African Grey. They are the smartest birds, I think it is said they have the IQ of a 4 yr old.

I saw a program some years ago where an old lady had one. Among other amazing things, he would steal her glasses. They'd play tug of war and she'd say, "Give it back" and he'd say, "But I want it."

kenju said...

I love parrots and I think they're amazing. I'm going to see your videos now.

Anonymous said...

these birds DID make me smile. Had me in stiches! I especially liked the one doing all the silly tricks.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL....This is the BEST Laugh I've had in weeks and weeks...!
I am in LOVE with the Parrott who sand The National Anthem....I tell you, that is one of the funniest things I've ever seen....And partly it is because he starts out pretty damned good...! Including a very fine Vibratto...lol...And then it just goes so Wonky that it is utterly HILARIOUS!
You must have had a lot of fun finding these things.....
The first couple of Birds' story's are fantastic! 950 words?? I mean that's more that a lot of PEOPLE can speak....!
This was great fun Rick. Thank You Very Much!

Debbie Harper said...

Just found this site...thanks for putting my parrot, Boozle, as one of your Seven Birds that will make you smile! All the videos made me smile too.........even Boozle's and I hear her every day!!!

Disclaimers...

This blog is about life experiences & observations and stuff I am interested in. It is simply a side hobby and creative outlet; generally, with a tongue-in-cheek tone. I don't take it too seriously, nor should you. I do not profess to represent every point of view. Nothing on this site is a paid post.

It is for entertainment purposes only it, so just lighten up and just enjoy it. Life is short, live in the moment.

As the author, thoughts/views have no affiliation to my clients, business colleagues or my company.

This blog is independent and free of any type of financial affiliations. Some images used are from the internet and sometimes hard to credit them, so if you own any and want them removed just send me a message.

No copyright infringement intended. I am not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious, or other laws from the reader’s country of origin or residence. The intention of this blog is to do no harm, defame, libel or offend anyone.