Friday, April 30, 2010

I think I May Have "Jumped The Shark"

Last weekend while in Sonoma Wine Country, we passed through the nice little town of St Helena. It has a great main street with all kinds of interesting shops, cafes and interesting sites to get you to spend your money. In order to defend my honor and pride, I feel it is necessary to explain that by this point, I had been away from my dogs for four days and really missed them a lot. So fast forward back to St Helena Main Street. I was tired. There was a little bit of cash burning a hole in my pocket and I felt compelled to buy something. We moseyed into a shop with an interesting array of stuff...a crazy statue of an Egyptian woman caught my eye. I feigned an interest in it and mumbled something about it being perfect for the front foyer (it wasn't). I just wanted to see if John was paying attention (he wasn't). Then I saw it- a wall of linens, towels and such...but behind the counter was a massive embroidery machine. I was fascinated watching and listening to it hum along, the machine whirring as it stitched various patterns, letters and designs into towels, sheets, and pillowcases. I started to dismiss it as completely ridiculous until I saw the sample patterns hanging ever-so-conveniently within reach. Instantly I spotted the Standard Poodle design. I thought about my poor poodles sitting at home pining away for me to return. Without hesitation I beckoned the sales girl and asked her embroider two dish towels for the kitchen. One with a black poodle and the name Sheldon and another with a brown poodle and the name Duncan. After paying a ridiculous price for these novelties, I waited as the machine did its thing. I'm not sure why but it really held my attention. I was so pleased with myself for finding something to buy that day. I was smiling just thinking about my dogs and how much they would appreciate their new dishtowels when I got back home. (think about what I just typed there). The day continued...

above: I stopped at Woodhouse chocolates and paused in front of their display-window. It featured a number of hand made chocolate lollypops shaped as flowers. It was so nifty. For a brief moment I felt like I was the Mayor of Lollypop Land, wherever that is. I was still thinking about my dogs back home alone, with just the pet sitter to keep them company.

When I returned home I was so happy to see Duncan and Sheldon. They are such happy dogs. I promptly unpacked their new embroidered dish towels and ceremoniously put them on display. Sheldon walked over and sniffed them, and walked away, unfazed. As I stared at the towels, I realized I may just have "jumped the shark" in buying something so ridiculous, especially for a guy. (the term "jump the shark" is an idiom to describe when something went from cool to absurd). Suddenly I had become my great grandmother. Not even my grandmother collects stuff like this. Oh well, there are worse things to be I suppose. Besides, my great grandma was pretty cool. And so are my two poodles, don't cha think so?
-Rick Rockhill

12 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

personally rick i LOVE that you did this!

smiles, bee
oxoxoxoxoxoxo

Maggie Moo said...

I also love it-and even though they may be a little bit shark jumpy, they are USEFUL so...that counts for a lot. :)

Jeni said...

And I thought my ex-husband held the record for strange little idioms he always said (still does, come to think of it) but I have to say I never heard this one before about jumping the shark.
But I definitely have to agree that your poodles most certainly are the cutest and also, they deserve some recognition of their existence in the home too -even if it is just kitchen towels, it all counts!

grace said...

I love the towels, I d probably do the same thing!! Nah, I don't think you jumped the shark! (well aware of "jump the shark" :) )

x

kenju said...

I have ceased to wonder about the things people do with/for and to their pets.....lol

Odat said...

When it comes to your dogs (or mine for that matter) you can "jump the shark" as many times as you can!
I would have done the same :-).
Peace

Karelian Blonde said...

All done in a best possible taste I'm sure Mr Rockhill:)

Sheila said...

Well, I happen to think it was a really great purchase! Forget being practical. Happy Saturday!

KathyA said...

I think they will show their true appreciation when they need to wipe their paws.
They must have been really happy to see you, though! It's nice to come home to dogs.

Cheryl said...

It's all cool. I love the towels and they made for a great story. Were the pets SO happy to have you back?

Diane J Standiford said...

Look at those two, they TOTALLY deserve such towels.

Desert Songbird said...

I like the towels, Rick. I think they're cool, but you did too, so that's all that matters, right?

Disclaimers...

This blog is about life experiences & observations and stuff I am interested in. It is simply a side hobby and creative outlet; generally, with a tongue-in-cheek tone. I don't take it too seriously, nor should you. I do not profess to represent every point of view. Nothing on this site is a paid post.

It is for entertainment purposes only it, so just lighten up and just enjoy it. Life is short, live in the moment.

As the author, thoughts/views have no affiliation to my clients, business colleagues or my company.

This blog is independent and free of any type of financial affiliations. Some images used are from the internet and sometimes hard to credit them, so if you own any and want them removed just send me a message.

No copyright infringement intended. I am not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious, or other laws from the reader’s country of origin or residence. The intention of this blog is to do no harm, defame, libel or offend anyone.