Thursday, September 2, 2010

Why More Guide Dogs are Needed

I mentioned in a prior post that September is National Guide Dog Month, and that I would be blogging regularly about it over the next few weeks. We're trying to raise one million dollars this month to help provide more guide dogs to people who cannot see.There are over 20 million people in the US alone with some kind of visual impairment. Being legally blind shouldn't mean a person has to move in fear, hoping not to stumble. The leading causes of blindness are cataracts, glaucoma, age-related macular degeneration & diabetic retinopathy. In addition, 13% of our active military return home from war with eye injuries. Despite all this, only a very small percentage of legally blind people ever get a guide dog. Thankfully there are several accredited guide dog schools around the country who provide guide dogs to the blind for FREE. I've been involved with a local school here in the Palm Springs area, Guide Dogs of the Desert. They place guide dogs all over the country, although primarily within the South west region of the US. I visited their facility a few weeks ago to see the latest guide dog puppies, ready to be placed in the home of a volunteer puppy raiser for 18 months. Then they are returned to the guide dog school for formal guide dog training. I cannot imagine giving up a puppy after raising it like my own pet. I have such respect for the puppy raisers who can do that. I'd like to share this incredible video with you about guide dogs. It is 7 minutes, so settle in with a nice cup of cawfee and enjoy it. It's well worth your time to watch. 


If you would like to help and make a donation in any amount ($1, $5, $10, $20...) just go to www.petco.com/naturalbalance to donate online. Its fast and easy. Please consider helping today. I'd really appreciate it if you would also consider posting a link on your own blog to this post so that others can see this video. I need help to get the word out quickly so we can reach our million dollar fund raising goal this month.
-Rick Rockhill

No comments:

Disclaimers...

This blog is about life experiences & observations and stuff I am interested in. It is simply a side hobby and creative outlet; generally, with a tongue-in-cheek tone. I don't take it too seriously, nor should you. I do not profess to represent every point of view. Nothing on this site is a paid post.

It is for entertainment purposes only it, so just lighten up and just enjoy it. Life is short, live in the moment.

As the author, thoughts/views have no affiliation to my clients, business colleagues or my company.

This blog is independent and free of any type of financial affiliations. Some images used are from the internet and sometimes hard to credit them, so if you own any and want them removed just send me a message.

No copyright infringement intended. I am not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious, or other laws from the reader’s country of origin or residence. The intention of this blog is to do no harm, defame, libel or offend anyone.