Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Adventures of Sheldon & Duncan: Out for Exercise

It has been awhile since I've written of The Adventures of Sheldon & Duncan, and then yesterday I found inspiration for a new episode. The weather forecast for Southern California was menacing; threats of rains, wind and record cold temperatures. I envisioned a weekend being locked inside with the poodles unable to go out to play. Being young, large and energetic dogs, they need their daily exercise. Normally they go out several times per day to play- and burn off some steam. With the forecast of a long rainy weekend I decided to take them out a few times before the rains arrived. They love going for walks, especially when we get to one particular spot where it is safe to let them off-leash to run. Here is a short video clip of them out for exercise:

As you saw from this video, standard poodles are pretty good athletes. They love to run at high speeds and chase each other, taking turns at who leads in the game. It warms my heart to see them happy like this, enjoying their free time. It also serves as a reminder that some breeds need to run, and if paired with a home lifestyle that cannot offer that outlet, dogs can become unhappy and do naughty things indoors. So there is my PSA to urge folks to do your research on the needs of a breed before bringing one into your home. Meanwhile, both Sheldon and Duncan had another adventure while out for exercise. As it turned out, the rain was short-lived in the desert, and Palm Springs was spared most of the wintry-weather that fell on Southern California. So in the end, the poodles had access to their usual exercise adventure, repeated just like this video above. Indeed, it is good to be a poodle in my home.

7 comments:

Karelian Blonde said...

Happy dogs :)

kenju said...

They were really having fun!!

Anonymous said...

You are so right on taking play and activity into consideration when choosing a pet. I know how I feel if I'm "copped up"... I can only imagine how some of our furry counterparts feels.

KathyA said...

You know, Rick, we should ALL get out and run like that once or twice a day!!

So sorry we're going to miss each other. Have a good time in FLA.

Cheryl said...

Oh, I'd love to run like that!

Jeni said...

Don't you just love to see the grace and exhilaration dogs display while they run, jump and just plain romp around? When certain people take Sammy out for a walk, when he comes back in the house then, he generally goes a little ballistic -chasing all over the downstairs and up and down on the back of the sofa, then back on the floor for just one more little romp. (He usually doesn't act that way when I walk him but does seem to get really overly excited when my older daughter is here and she takes him out!)

WAT said...

Damn, those dogs are fast! I was in your neck of the woods for New Year's and could not believe how many people dogs there are over there! It's amazing!

Disclaimers...

This blog is about life experiences & observations and stuff I am interested in. It is simply a side hobby and creative outlet; generally, with a tongue-in-cheek tone. I don't take it too seriously, nor should you. I do not profess to represent every point of view. Nothing on this site is a paid post.

It is for entertainment purposes only it, so just lighten up and just enjoy it. Life is short, live in the moment.

As the author, thoughts/views have no affiliation to my clients, business colleagues or my company.

This blog is independent and free of any type of financial affiliations. Some images used are from the internet and sometimes hard to credit them, so if you own any and want them removed just send me a message.

No copyright infringement intended. I am not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious, or other laws from the reader’s country of origin or residence. The intention of this blog is to do no harm, defame, libel or offend anyone.