Friday, February 25, 2011

A Bowl of Antioxidants & Health

One of the most important decisions one can make every day is what is consumed. Experts tell us that what we eat is equally important as what we don't eat. Fresh, whole foods, minimally processed- particularly dark colored vegetables and fruits are excellent. Processed, prepared foods laden with too much salt and sugars are bad. Everyone knows that, right? If I had one piece of advice to give, it would be to avoid things ready-to-eat in a package, and look for fresh foods. I've been trying to consume more berries. Deep, dark colors like blueberries, blackberries and strawberries are packed with antioxidants whose health benefits are numerous and well documented.

I am also a fan of dates. Living in Palm Springs, we grow all sorts of dates right here in the Coachella Valley, so its easy and inexpensive to buy dates. Dates are pretty good for you too. They are rich in potassium, calcium, sulfur, iron, phosphorus, copper, manganese and natural oils. Just one a day helps add to a balanced diet. Interestingly, dates are known to help with intestinal disorders, weight gain, heart problems, diarrhea, and relieve constipation too. Dates are not like prunes. I dislike prunes, but love dates. You can cook and bake with them, or eat them raw. I like to slice up dates and saute them with things like chicken or pork. I like them up for salads too. Lots of ways to enjoy dates and get the health benefits along the way.

So the next time you are thinking about what to snack on, go for a bowl of fresh mixed berries, and throw in some dates too. If you want to buy some dates grown here in the Palm Springs area, there is a local date farm called Shields  You can order dates online from their website. You can even follow them on Twitter @ShieldsDateGrdn (As always this is not a paid post, just me offering information).

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of dates. They are like candy with vitamins!!!! YUM!

Anonymous said...

...same with figs-- fresh or dried!

KathyA said...

Love all dried fruits. -- That plate looks delicious!

lime said...

i'm all about the berries. i have them every day though through the winter i use frozen organic ones. can't say as i have ever had a date though.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Sounds Good! I love dates, too...And it would be really nice to have some from the Coachella Valley....!

Thanks so very much Rick....This is a really hard time. We are all in shock and feel like a truck ran over me....Well, it did, in a way. So, I appreciate your kind and caring words very very much.

Tea N. Crumpet said...

They are all so costly up here, but I buy frozen blue brries and in the winter, we drive a ways north to pick berries. It is always worth it!

There is a local restaurant that is very posh and my husband often takes me there for desert. I tried figs the other night and they were filled with vanilla ice cream. I thought that I had managed to be in Heaven without the unpleasantness of dying to get there!

Unknown said...

All I have to say is...YUM!!! :)

WAT said...

Love the berries and dates suggestion. Right now I am addicted to trail mix. LOVE THAT STUFF!

Disclaimers...

This blog is about life experiences & observations and stuff I am interested in. It is simply a side hobby and creative outlet; generally, with a tongue-in-cheek tone. I don't take it too seriously, nor should you. I do not profess to represent every point of view. Nothing on this site is a paid post.

It is for entertainment purposes only it, so just lighten up and just enjoy it. Life is short, live in the moment.

As the author, thoughts/views have no affiliation to my clients, business colleagues or my company.

This blog is independent and free of any type of financial affiliations. Some images used are from the internet and sometimes hard to credit them, so if you own any and want them removed just send me a message.

No copyright infringement intended. I am not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious, or other laws from the reader’s country of origin or residence. The intention of this blog is to do no harm, defame, libel or offend anyone.