Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show Begins

Welcome to another year of coverage of the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. By now you know I am in New York City with my company, Natural Balance Pet Foods participating in this revered dog show. I'm privileged to have many years of personal experience at Westminster, so it is familiar territory for me. Knowing a number of judges, handlers, groomers and such has provided first-hand knowledge of the sport of Dog Fancy. I love the pet industry in general, and feel very fortunate to continue to work within it. 

Before I go any further, I should emphasize yet again that There are many many really excellent dogs (and cats) living in shelters across America that need a good home. If you are considering adding a dog to your home, please do some very simple research online and then visit your local shelter. You just may be surprised by the wonderful dogs that just need a second chance.

The Hound Group assembles
Dog Shows like Westminster showcase the traits and qualities of various dog breeds. It is an excellent opportunity to learn about the needs of breeds to determine if they are a good fit for your home and lifestyle. Westminster is the ultimate reality show, with elimination rounds taking place all day long to identify the Best in Breed to advance to each group, and ultimately Best in Group.
I've always enjoyed viewing each group of dogs and cheering on my favorites. Of course, I've had the opportunity to learn more about what makes each breed "standard" and "winning" to earn the vaulted title of Champion (CH) or Grand Champion (GCH).
Each group is fun to watch and pick one's favorites. Within the Toy Group I was partial of course to the Toy Poodle, but it was not meant to be this year. At left in the center is of friend Mr Kaz Osaka, a well-respected handler and groomer of poodles. Sadly, none of the poodles advanced to the finals, so they won't be competing for Best in Show on Tuesday. But they sure were swell, all the same!

The judging ring for the Toy group, before all the dogs entered the ring. I'm not personally a toy dog fan but some make really fun pets. I'm just thrilled to be here sharing all this excitement. I used a combination of personal opinion, knowledge of each breed and audience reaction to pick my own favorites within each group.
Betty White speaks about Adoptions and shelters

This photo of Havanese is for Diane @CosmoHavanese


















I was busy Tweeting live via Twitter from Madison Square Garden, providing my own silly brand of commentary of each group and dog type. I'll be back Tuesday evening with more live commentary from Madison Square Garden, where at the end of the evening a new Best in Show cup will be awarded. Stay tuned!

4 comments:

To Dog With Love said...

Thanks for posting the Havanese pic! Love seeing your photos from the event... and tweets and posts too!
Diane and Cosmo

Anonymous said...

I love watching this show! I haven't seen it yet, but I'm looking forward to the reruns.

To me I love learning about the breeds and seeing each pooch's personality. Some are just really strut their stuff!

Anonymous said...

I love watching this show! I haven't seen it yet, but I'm looking forward to the reruns.

To me I love learning about the breeds and seeing each pooch's personality. Some are just really strut their stuff!

KathyA said...

I was wrong about the color of the bag of dry cat food -- it's bright pink and the 'label' part of it is blue.

Disclaimers...

This blog is about life experiences & observations and stuff I am interested in. It is simply a side hobby and creative outlet; generally, with a tongue-in-cheek tone. I don't take it too seriously, nor should you. I do not profess to represent every point of view. Nothing on this site is a paid post.

It is for entertainment purposes only it, so just lighten up and just enjoy it. Life is short, live in the moment.

As the author, thoughts/views have no affiliation to my clients, business colleagues or my company.

This blog is independent and free of any type of financial affiliations. Some images used are from the internet and sometimes hard to credit them, so if you own any and want them removed just send me a message.

No copyright infringement intended. I am not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious, or other laws from the reader’s country of origin or residence. The intention of this blog is to do no harm, defame, libel or offend anyone.