Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Saturday Seven: Favorite Clocks in My Collection

This past week I was haunted by the passage of time. Looking back on it, I truly believe there was something karmic taking place, it was not a coincidental series of connected events. All week long I was faced with scenarios relating to time. I was keenly aware that I've reached a milestone in my own skin. But there were other events all week where I found myself inadvertently counting hours, minutes, and seconds. In particular there was one situation that a friend of mine was dealing with where time seemed to pass painfully slowly. I was worried. Quite troubled really, by my friend's plight. I watched the clock constantly, waiting for time to pass. By Thursday afternoon things seemed to be resolved for my friend, but there had been a disruption in the Universe for him. A disruption in his timespace. This disturbed me, but soon enough I was sucked back into my own vortex at work and had other distractions. I must have had bionic ears on Thursday and Friday, because I felt I could hear time changing on my blackberry, despite it being an lcd screen. When I finally returned home to the desert after a long day, I started to deconstruct the week in my head. In silence, I sat in my library thinking, with a nice glass of wine trying to unwind. Nothing but the sound of clockworks movement from my cherished collection, ticking away and occasionally chiming to announce the passage of another quarter of an hour. These clocks have long been a source of comfort and solace to me, and Friday night was no different. From this I found the inspiration for another scintillating edition of The Saturday Seven: Favorite Clocks in My Collection.
#1 "Little Ben Linden"- I've had this mantle clock for over 27 years. It was a gift from my parents and has always been quite special to me.

#2 "Lord Sligh"- I acquired this gracious clock about 18 years back. I saved up to be able to afford this clock because I had my eye on it for months.

#3 "Hyacinth"- A more recent addition to my collection, Hyacinth holds the clock portion in her hand and it swings back and forth, swaying ever-so-gently.

#4 "'William"- A gift from my grandfather who knew how well I liked clocks. It is an antique with a hand painted porcelain face, and an elegant, solid brass carved frame.

#5 "Chason"- Named after the store from which I purchased this timepiece. I always enjoyed going to Chasons in downtown Providence to shop for such lovely things to collect.

#6 "Duke of Wellington"- Not an especially unique, but I always loved this clock because I had it with me when I lived in England. It has very special memories for me.

#7- Midcentury Modern Sunburst Clock- the epitome of Palm Springs Style.

Bonus entry-A pseudo art deco clock, but nothing special.

Which clock to do you like best and why? I'm sure you can make the time to leave a comment today~
-Rick Rockhill

9 comments:

Desert Songbird said...

I like #3; not really sure why. It just seems unique to me.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

wow they are all lovely rick! the sunburst clock reminds me of being a little girl, we had one of those above the sofa.

you should read lala's post today and give her some advice if you don't mind...

http://redaisy.blogspot.com/

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

lime said...

oooh, i like lord sligh because as far as decor goes i prefer uncomplicated designs but something that shows real craftsmanship. lord sligh is just beautiful and elegant.

i have to say the sunburst is just plain fun though too and it appeals so my love of whimsy. i was never a fan of the sunburst clocks that hung on the wall but i love how that one stands on one of the rays.

Cathy, Let's Dance! said...

#8 calls to my spirit. Great writing in this pst Rick, really enjoyed it.

Jeni said...

My favorite is #1 -I like the color of the wood and the overall design -simplistic, very classy. But I also like #2 and #4 -#2 reminds me of my aunt and uncle, who had a clock like this on their mantle and it chimed on the quarter hour and played the full chime on the hour. I lived with them for over a year when I was 7-8 years old and those chimes were always so comforting to hear. #4 -I also liked because -well just because I like clocks like that one. No special reason behind it -just pretty!

Joe Luca said...

Rick,

I like Little Ben; I can remember listening to the chimes at homeall the time. I was always impressed, and flummoxed, that as a child you wanted a clock as a gift. Now you have a wonderful collection of timepieces, a veritable museum of clocks.

Joe

Curtis said...

A man after my own heart. I love clocks. Can't choose my favorite.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

These are all Soooo wonderful, Rick! I love that you have had so many of them for such a long time. The way you write about each one says how much you love each one---even the 'nothing special' semi Art Deco one....! (lol) Thanks so much for sharing these Rick.

Anonymous said...

I think the lady holding the clock is my favorite, so unusual.

Disclaimers...

This blog is about life experiences & observations and stuff I am interested in. It is simply a side hobby and creative outlet; generally, with a tongue-in-cheek tone. I don't take it too seriously, nor should you. I do not profess to represent every point of view. Nothing on this site is a paid post.

It is for entertainment purposes only it, so just lighten up and just enjoy it. Life is short, live in the moment.

As the author, thoughts/views have no affiliation to my clients, business colleagues or my company.

This blog is independent and free of any type of financial affiliations. Some images used are from the internet and sometimes hard to credit them, so if you own any and want them removed just send me a message.

No copyright infringement intended. I am not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious, or other laws from the reader’s country of origin or residence. The intention of this blog is to do no harm, defame, libel or offend anyone.