Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Chop Wood, Carry Water, by Jamie Shane

I just finished reading a great new book called Chop Wood, Carry Water, by Jamie Shane. Shane is a certified yoga instructor and practical philosopher who owns Bija Yoga studio in Naples, Florida. Ms Shane also writes a popular weekly column for the Naples Daily News. Chop Wood is a light-hearted, relaxing read with a refreshing perspective on life. Shane presents a compelling case for yoga and the benefits of simplifying our lives. "Yoga", Shane writes is "a physical science designed to bring the body and the mind into alignment with spirit". As you wind your way through the book, you learn how yoga can become a lifelong relationship with your inner self. There are a few instructive sections where the reader can practice basic yoga moves, which serve as tempting morsels, leaving the reader wanting more. I had a few major discoveries about myself while reading this book. The biggest was that I do not know how to breathe. That's right, I don't know how to breathe. I learned that true breathing involves slowing things down, listening to your inner voice, and to pay attention to hear your body speak to you. But as much as her book helps the reader learn how to meet and understand oneself, it also speaks how to live and love others. Shane refers to the "bumpy road to enlightenment" by expressing her own thoughts and experiences. While our journeys through life may be bumpy, her book offers a smooth path of advice and wisdom. If you have ever considered yoga, check out Shane's book, it just may change your perspective on life.
Jamie Shane can be reached via e-mail at yoda@bijayoga971.com
Don't just take my word...

Even Dr Sidney Wang, psychic betta fish and resident oracle recommends this book. Dr Wang wishes to share a quote from Mahatma Gandhi that Ms Shane uses to close her book: "There is no way to peace. Peace is the way."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I practice Yoga today with my sister and cousin, it does help you breathe better, and also helps stretch out more.

Maggie Moo said...

I've been thinking about finding a yoga class to join here in Boston. I've never done yoga before though, so I have to find a VERY beginner class-especially with my neck problems.

Cathy, Let's Dance! said...

i practice Anusara, love it. wish there was a group class daily. makes me feel so serene! you would really enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

I just finished Jamie Shane's
3 day workshop "The Psychic Knot".
Truely inspiring. I have never felt more at ease with the world.
Palm Springs should try to bring this workshop out there.

Disclaimers...

This blog is about life experiences & observations and stuff I am interested in. It is simply a side hobby and creative outlet; generally, with a tongue-in-cheek tone. I don't take it too seriously, nor should you. I do not profess to represent every point of view. Nothing on this site is a paid post.

It is for entertainment purposes only it, so just lighten up and just enjoy it. Life is short, live in the moment.

As the author, thoughts/views have no affiliation to my clients, business colleagues or my company.

This blog is independent and free of any type of financial affiliations. Some images used are from the internet and sometimes hard to credit them, so if you own any and want them removed just send me a message.

No copyright infringement intended. I am not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious, or other laws from the reader’s country of origin or residence. The intention of this blog is to do no harm, defame, libel or offend anyone.