Sunday, March 4, 2007

La Quinta Arts Foundation Silver Anniversary Gala

Last night I attended the La Quinta Arts Foundation Gala event honoring TV mogul Merv Griffin. Held at the swank La Quinta Resort & Club, the exclusive event drew a well-heeled crowd with a penchant for collecting high end art. Merv is honorary chairman of the Arts Festival and has been a major financial supporter of the event here in the Palm Springs area.
Merv Griffin is one of the most successful Hollywood entertainers and executives ever, with career on stage singing, and a 23 year run with The Merv Griffin Show where he invented the talk show concept. He made his substantial fortune when he single-handedly created game shows Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune, both of which he still owns. As a resident of La Quinta, Merv is a high profile valley resident and brings a great deal of Hollywood power to the Palm Springs area.


Above: At the cocktail reception I had a chance to snap a photo of Merv some friends: (Photo L-R): pianist Frankie Randall, Merv Griffin, Keely Smith, unidentified man, and Jerry Vale. I also saw veteran actor Robert Loggia shortly after I took this photo.

Above & Below: During the champagne reception, I enjoyed viewing the wonderful sampling of art to be featured at the upcoming festival.

Below: Me hamming it up for the cameras.

Below: We enjoyed an elegant three course dinner


Below: ...followed by a performance by Merv Griffin, Frankie Randall, Keely Smith and Kaye Ballard


After dinner Merv opened by telling a few jokes- one of which I felt was worth sharing. It went something like this:

"You know for a time I dated a homeless girl.
Yeah, it was great.
We would go out to a restaurant and have a nice dinner and everything, and the best part was I could drop her off anywhere."

Below: Just for fun: I ran into this woman and just loved her look...a vision in silver

-Rick Rockhill

5 comments:

Leila V. said...

What a coincidence, I just watched the Seinfeld where Kramer found the Merv Griffin set.

I must confess, being 22, I'm not really familiar with him, but it looks like quite the evening.

M- Filer said...

Wow....Merv got fat. Really fat. Poor thing.

Anonymous said...

Well hi hunny. Thanks for your little comment on our blog. we're coming to palm springs in april, staying at the Parker. what should we see?

thanks doll,

Y.M.

Naomi said...

Wow! You are so lucky to go to an event like this. What an exciting life you lead!

Laura said...

Dahling, you look mahvelous in the hamming it up picture...which is more than I can say about the woman who escaped from the back lot of Columbo and kept her wardrobe from the show for all these years.....Scary.

Disclaimers...

This blog is about life experiences & observations and stuff I am interested in. It is simply a side hobby and creative outlet; generally, with a tongue-in-cheek tone. I don't take it too seriously, nor should you. I do not profess to represent every point of view. Nothing on this site is a paid post.

It is for entertainment purposes only it, so just lighten up and just enjoy it. Life is short, live in the moment.

As the author, thoughts/views have no affiliation to my clients, business colleagues or my company.

This blog is independent and free of any type of financial affiliations. Some images used are from the internet and sometimes hard to credit them, so if you own any and want them removed just send me a message.

No copyright infringement intended. I am not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious, or other laws from the reader’s country of origin or residence. The intention of this blog is to do no harm, defame, libel or offend anyone.