Thursday, April 12, 2007

Healthy Eating Series: Salads can make you can look like this too

In an effort to keep things interesting, I've decided to add a new bi-weekly feature to the blog. So today is the start of my new "Healthy Eating" series. The idea is to provide some eye candy along with a recipe for something healthy and good-for-you too.

Like most people from Palm Springs and San Diego, I try to spend as much time living outdoors. Salads are the perfect choice for lunch poolside or on the patio. Try this salad- I recommend buying organic vegetables, you'll be surprised how much more flavor they have.

MEDITERRANEAN CHOPPED SALAD

This is one of my favorite salads and is also good with grilled fish or chicken. Use fresh, organic ripe tomatoes, it provides some fiber and a healthy dose of vitamin C too. Prep Time: 20 minutes- Makes 4 servings, 3/4 cup each

2 medium organic tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 medium head organic romaine lettuce
1 cup diced seedless organic cucumber (1/4 medium)
1/4 cup chopped scallions
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons extra-virgin organic olive oil
1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Freshly ground pepper to taste

Combine tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce, scallions, parsley, olives, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a medium bowl; toss gently to mix. Serve within 1 hour.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 113 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrate; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 328 mg sodium. Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).0 Carbohydrate Servings

-Rick Rockhill

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That salad sure looks good :-)

Anonymous said...

I hope you'll consider submitting one or more of these wonderful recipes to my healthy recipe blog carnival! (or perhaps being a guest chef on the blog as I mentioned earlier in previous comment)

Disclaimers...

This blog is about life experiences & observations and stuff I am interested in. It is simply a side hobby and creative outlet; generally, with a tongue-in-cheek tone. I don't take it too seriously, nor should you. I do not profess to represent every point of view. Nothing on this site is a paid post.

It is for entertainment purposes only it, so just lighten up and just enjoy it. Life is short, live in the moment.

As the author, thoughts/views have no affiliation to my clients, business colleagues or my company.

This blog is independent and free of any type of financial affiliations. Some images used are from the internet and sometimes hard to credit them, so if you own any and want them removed just send me a message.

No copyright infringement intended. I am not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious, or other laws from the reader’s country of origin or residence. The intention of this blog is to do no harm, defame, libel or offend anyone.