Friday, January 18, 2008

Today's Random Topic: Queen Latifah

I'm a big fan of Queen Latifah, the singer/actress and former rapper. Truth be told, I was never really a fan of her rap music, but I started watching her "Living Single" TV show from 1993 to 1998. on Fox. When I saw her as Matron "Mama" Morton in the film "Chicago" in 2002 I realized how talented a singer she is. Then in 2004 she came out with her first soul jazz/standards album, The Dana Owens Album, which I found fantastic. Her 2007 follow up album Travlin' Light was a fun collection of music styles. She continues to appear in a number of films, building up an impressive resume of acting credits. Queen Latifah has been spotted dining in Palm Springs several times, one of these days I hope to run into her downtown and sip martinis together at a swank lounge...

I went to see Queen Latifah in concert back in November when she brought her show to the Palm Springs area. I looked her in the eyes from my front row seat while she sang; she seemed to really enjoy herself while performing. Anyway I've decided that she is one of my favorite contemporary vocalists. Not sure who she is? Check this out:


Happy Friday!
-Rick Rockhill

16 comments:

Diane J Standiford said...

Gee, you got me all excited there when you said she "came out..." with her first jazz blah blah. I ADORE the Queen (saw her on Larry King last night)---she is just so fine in all she does.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

she IS a pretty little thing, isn't she?

smiles, bee

Anonymous said...

great random topic today rick, I too like queen latifah. She is really funny-loved her in last holiday and that one with steve martin also.

lime said...

she's such a versatile performer and projects a strong, positive attitude

Marlupe said...

I agree with Lime. She is so positive and upbeat, you never see her trashy like Britney or Whitney.

Unknown said...

Wow. She does have a great voice. I guess i'll give that consideration when I pick out the next cd i want to buy. She's beautiful too. I've seen her in movies. She's good.

TWISI said...

all hail the queen!

snowelf said...

I agree, Rick!!! She is just one of those people who I just instantly like because she comes across so personable and genuine. I've loved her in everything I've seen with her in it. She's just awesome.

Have a great weekend!

--snow

CRUSTY MOM-E said...

GOOSEBUMPS!! SHe is a very classy woman!!
Happy Saturday!!
I'm dreaming of Costa Rica right now..it's -25something windchill below here, and I'm sure you can remember that feeling..DREADFUL!
Send us some of your darling Palm Springs Sun please!!
Blessed day,
Elizabeth

Sheila said...

I like her too--post rap though. I wish she'd be a tad more selective in some movie choices but even in a bad movie she shines. Look forward to seeing a picture of you with her one day.

whimsical brainpan said...

She was awesome in Chicago and I adore her jazz albums.

Canadian flake said...

She is amazing ...and can be absolutely hilarious... She is a very talented "comedic" actress also . I agree that she has some great pipes on her...

My adventures said...

i've been a huge fan since she was in "living out loud" and played the jazz club singer... i LOVE her!!!

kenju said...

I watched her in the movie Beauty Shop last night. The movie was a bit formulaic, but she is a treat for the eyes and ears anyway!

WAT said...

But everyone knows Latifah by now, she's become quite a charismatic movie star.

Unknown said...

Queen Latifa is my Goddessssss! I love her so much and just absolutely a beautiful, beautiful, stunning woman. Thank you for posting.

Disclaimers...

This blog is about life experiences & observations and stuff I am interested in. It is simply a side hobby and creative outlet; generally, with a tongue-in-cheek tone. I don't take it too seriously, nor should you. I do not profess to represent every point of view. Nothing on this site is a paid post.

It is for entertainment purposes only it, so just lighten up and just enjoy it. Life is short, live in the moment.

As the author, thoughts/views have no affiliation to my clients, business colleagues or my company.

This blog is independent and free of any type of financial affiliations. Some images used are from the internet and sometimes hard to credit them, so if you own any and want them removed just send me a message.

No copyright infringement intended. I am not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious, or other laws from the reader’s country of origin or residence. The intention of this blog is to do no harm, defame, libel or offend anyone.