Saturday, November 21, 2009

Nothing Like A Fresh Coat of Paint.....


We finally did it. We painted the wall in the back yard. I've been staring at it for a long time, complaining that it needed a fresh coat of paint. It was the same light whitish-eggshell color that the contractors used when the house was first built. It was peeling in places. I hated it. Finally, I just pulled the trigger and organized to have the wall power-washed for a good cleaning, scraped a bit, and given a few fresh coats of paint. I wanted a color that would provide more of a desert feel, to blend in with the San Jacinto mountains that are just beyond our home. So off to Lowe's to peruse the plentiful paint chips. Dark brown seemed a bit heavy. A milk chocolate color looked nice but didn't match anything else in the yard or the house exterior. We finally settled on this color above, it's called "Iced Tea" from the Olympic paint brand. I hate choosing paint colors, it always looks different once it is up. We were already familiar with this Iced Tea color because we have it on the door trim on the exterior of the house. Once the painting was complete I was thrilled. It is just the effect I was looking for. It blends in beautifully with the mountains beyond, and provides a nice backdrop for the cactus and other foliage in behind the pool. What do you think? To refresh your memory, here is what it looked like before:

above: the old whitish wall color, seems so blah now

above: So I had Sheldon and Duncan pose for a fresh photo in front of their newly painted wall. As long as the poodles like it, that's all that matters I guess. What do you think about the new wall color?
-Rick Rockhill

11 comments:

Laura said...

This color makes a world of difference, Rick. The plants stand out more and, well, if it matches the dogs, what else can you ask for. :)

Kanani said...

Oh, it's so much better. That off-white is so hard on the eyes. This looks more natural, and I think it complements the dogs as well!

A Lewis said...

I LOVE the new color! Reminds me a bit of a color we used on a concrete wall at our former house. And those pooches....they look so great next to it!

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

lovin' the paint, and the pups!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

kenju said...

That color is better than the off-white. The pool color against it is good and even the dogs look better in front of it!!

KathyA said...

You are soooo color-coordinated, pups and all!

snowelf said...

I think the color is perfect too. I also have a hard time choosing paint colors for the very same reason--it never looks the same once you get it up on the wall! :) I'm very untrusting of paint colors. ;P

I love how the boys are always so good about posing!! :)

--snow

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Love it! It looks Beautiful and has a warmth that better reflects Palm Springs and the desert! Your sweet doggies look Beautiful, too!

I thought I would be speaking to you on Saturday ir today...I won't be available by phone on Monday....So....I guess we better talk on Tiesday, Rick.

MeMe said...

It's now so warm and inviting. Little things like this make a house a home.

Desert Songbird said...

The wall looks great, and the boys look very handsome. Our home is nearly 10 years old and could use some sprucing up, too. Lots of our neighbors have been updating their paint scheme on their houses. I suppose we'll have to consider it now.

Matt said...

I love the color! Funny, it's something I probably would never had looked twice at on a sample, but it works perfectly on the wall. Can I come visit Palm Springs? :)

Disclaimers...

This blog is about life experiences & observations and stuff I am interested in. It is simply a side hobby and creative outlet; generally, with a tongue-in-cheek tone. I don't take it too seriously, nor should you. I do not profess to represent every point of view. Nothing on this site is a paid post.

It is for entertainment purposes only it, so just lighten up and just enjoy it. Life is short, live in the moment.

As the author, thoughts/views have no affiliation to my clients, business colleagues or my company.

This blog is independent and free of any type of financial affiliations. Some images used are from the internet and sometimes hard to credit them, so if you own any and want them removed just send me a message.

No copyright infringement intended. I am not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious, or other laws from the reader’s country of origin or residence. The intention of this blog is to do no harm, defame, libel or offend anyone.