Word from a Friend
I spoke with a friend of mine yesterday who was evacuated from her home, and fled to a friend's home for safety. However, her friend's home received a "reverse 911" call in the middle of the night instructing them to evacuate. It's scary having to be awakened by that type phone call. I have not spoken with her today, I hope she is still OK and safe.
- A few smaller new blazes broke out yesterday, as if the firefighters didn't have enough to worry about.
- They are reporting that 1,300 houses and other structures have been destroyed
- Over 500,000 people are still unable to return to their homes, and CNN is reporting that nearly 950,000 people in total have fled, either under mandatory or voluntary evacuations orders.
- With fresh details in from the massive fire damage yesterday, President Bush declared San Diego County and six other counties in Southern California as major federal disaster areas. This made us eligible to receive emergency funds and additional resources.
- Tomorrow the President is visiting San Diego County to check things out, which should bring a lot of media attention and focus.
Above: signonsandiego.com posted this map showing the various major fires: Rice Canyon, Poomacha, Witch Creek and Harris
For a view of the latest San Diego Fire Map, click HERE