Saturday, October 20, 2007

The Saturday Seven: Scariest Horror Films I Know

Halloween is upon us once again. I've always liked this time of year, it's a magical season on so many levels. I was fortunate to grow up in a great neighborhood where it was safe to go trick-or-treating without my parents. I thought it was cool that you could just ring a doorbell and shriek "TRICK OR TREAT" and the person would hand over their candy loot. As a teen I enjoyed going to see whatever horror movie was out around Halloween. Many years later, as an adult working in the retail confectionery industry, the Halloween novelties, such as chocolate witches, marshmallow pumpkins and vampire lolly pops got me all excited. But Halloween has always been about being scared, which brings me to this week's scintillating edition of:
The Saturday Seven: Scariest Horror Films I Know
Narrowing down the massive list of horror films down to just 7 (well 8 if you include my traditional "bonus entry") was a difficult task. I'm sure I'll piss off someone for excluding some mega scary movie, but that's what the comment section is for, so feel free to take me to task after you go through my list...
#1 Nightmare on Elm Street- Freddy Kruger gave me so many nightmares of my own...why did it take so many films to KILL this bastard?

#2 Hellraiser- The dude with the pins in his head was really scary

#3 Halloween-This kid had serious problems

#4 Friday The Thirteenth-Another kid with serious problems. Why wouldn't Jason just DIE already???

#5 Dracula- (Both the Bella Lugosi one and Bram Stoker's scared me). Vampire movies ALWAYS scared me the most. As a kid I read a book about them and was convinced for years that they really existed. I used to go to sleep with my hand on my neck out of fear Dracula would attack at night.

#6 The Exorcist- I still have trouble eating pea soup to this day...

#7 The Shining- He just couldn't take the stress and went nuts

Bonus Entry: Psycho- What is there to say? Shower curtains are scary...

What are some of your scariest Horror films? Go ahead, leave a comment, I'm running a special today: ALL COMMENTS ARE TOTALLY FREE!
-Rick Rockhill

19 comments:

lime said...

i am a wimp and avoid scary movies....but carrie scared the pants off me.

Desert Songbird said...

I'm not a scary movie fan, but I did watch Poltergeist a few times. To this day, clowns creep me out.

BTW - How are the sea monkeys doing?

Scott in Iowa said...

Ok, the scariest horror movie I ever saw...Amityville Horror. My Mom took me to that movie when I was just 14 years old because I wanted to see it so badly and we had both read the book. (I'm 42 now) I still think of scenes from that movie when I'm alone, in the dark, at night. Also, for the same reason, I will never let a priest into my house. Well...for that reason AND the fact that I have a 15 year old son. :-)

Anonymous said...

gosh rick, Silence of the Lambs is pretty scary to me...I know it is technically not a horror film, but it sure is scary.

Casdok said...

Thank you for inviting me over to your place!!
I love scarey films!!

Unknown said...

I agree with lime. Carrie is the only scary movie that actually made me JUMP in fright.

Good post!

Anonymous said...

amitiville horror was scary as hell to me...and still is. also, what lies beneath.

Matt said...

Scott, I lived in a house in college that looks like the Amityville Horror house. The stories I could tell you ... :)

"The Grudge" scared the hell outta me.

Sheila said...

My nominees: The Omen and Rosemary's Baby.

Anonymous said...

scariest Horror films and Japanese restaurants

You are my kind of guy

Except I'm a Sushi and Shaba Shabu guy nor a Steak house guy except when it comes to American Straks.

I really like your ste and thanks for the visit to mine.

I'll be back again soon

Look for your site on my blog roll

Regards, DD2

Tea said...

I love scary movies! Every one of those were great. Looks like that Japanese restaurant is a yummy place to go too! Have a great weekend Rick :)

tea
xo

Anonymous said...

I was always a Dtacula fan, but The exorcist
Was a goodie!

Lola Starr said...

Hmmmm....most scary movies don't actually scare me but I LOVE them. I'm adding "Tale of Two Sisters", "Ginger Snaps", "Audition", and "Slither". Oh and "Dead and Breakfast"!

Burfica said...

I don't put vampire movies and scary movies in the same catagory. I could do 7 of each. hehehehe

I love scary movies, heck I even like hack and slash movies.

One of my top picks was Nightmare on Elm street (the origional) scared the piss out of me.

I also like Darkness Falls. And the Jeepers Creepers movies.

I also liked Boogeyman.

I could name about 50 others, but will stop there.

Mona said...

Oops. Not my forte! I do not watch them!

Jodi said...

I've never seen any of these and I never will.

I'm a chicken, sorry.

Great list, though.

J.

Rick Rockhill said...

To be honest, most horror movies scare the you-know-what out of me, but these are the ones I actually found the nerve to see over the years. I'm not sure why Dracula movies seem so scary to me...but they just are.

Anonymous said...

Take your pick at any of the "Ernest" movies for my scariest. Gives me chills just thinking about them.

-Ben Wu

Laura said...

I have to add "It" because Tim Curry was such a terrifying Pennywise.......The transition from corset wearing transvestite to sewer residing clown - well, it doesn't get much scarier than that.

I hate to give Stephen King a second nod, but you have to give credit where it's due.

I always thought of "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane" as horror genre.......and that film rocked. "Blanche....we have RATS...in the CELLAH."

Disclaimers...

This blog is about life experiences & observations and stuff I am interested in. It is simply a side hobby and creative outlet; generally, with a tongue-in-cheek tone. I don't take it too seriously, nor should you. I do not profess to represent every point of view. Nothing on this site is a paid post.

It is for entertainment purposes only it, so just lighten up and just enjoy it. Life is short, live in the moment.

As the author, thoughts/views have no affiliation to my clients, business colleagues or my company.

This blog is independent and free of any type of financial affiliations. Some images used are from the internet and sometimes hard to credit them, so if you own any and want them removed just send me a message.

No copyright infringement intended. I am not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious, or other laws from the reader’s country of origin or residence. The intention of this blog is to do no harm, defame, libel or offend anyone.