Thursday, July 29, 2010

Rick's Roadshow: Dubai, UAE


My Asian World Tour has now officially drawn to a close. With just one more destination remaining until I return to the US, I am gradually moving closer to my home timezone. Rick's Roadshow from Dubai, UAE was merely a quick stop in this Persian Gulf nation, most of the time was at the airport quite honestly. The true reason for the visit was for a meeting and afforded no time to sight see. Dubai is one of seven emirates in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and is very cosmopolitan. Located on the Arabian Peninsula, the main sources of income are oil and tourism. It boasts having the world's tallest building, the Burj Khalifa which is 828 meters, or 2,717 feet tall. That exceeded the Petronas Twin Towers in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) and Taipei 101, (Taiwan); both of which I visited on this trip. My visit to Dubai was quite brief, with really just time for a business meeting and that's about it. I wasn't able to take any photos; being whisked to and from my meeting cameras were not permitted. In fact the only photos I managed to take during my brief visit were while I was truly alone- from the window of my airplane. Several of the photos I took while landing were too cloudy.

above: A so-so quality areal photo of the Dubai skyline. Sorry about my reflection in the plane window here. My zoom isn't that great.

.

above: My flight leaving Dubai headed to London had nice private pods stocked with a selection of beverages & snacks. It was one of those seats that turned into a bed, completed flat and with a door that closed for privacy. The little hand held console you see offered several camera view options of the plane- forward, behind and downward, which was interesting.
.

above: Emirates airlines have some of the best in-seat entertainment systems I've experienced. The screens are huge and have extensive options of movies, TV, and video games, all in multiple languages. So while I didn't have any great photos to share today, I can report that the Dubai airport is very nice, with some of the finest duty free shopping I've encountered so far (LOL). I've now arrived in London and am off and running. Rick's Roadshow continues...
-Rick Rockhill

2 comments:

KathyA said...

I looked and looked and could not see your reflection.
How strange that you couldn't take pictures!!! I thought this was supposed to be the new chic business cap of the world?

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

oh i wish you had been able to stay longer and see more but it's exciting that you got to go and i think even i could ride on that plane!!!!

smiles, bee
xoxoxooxoxoxox

Disclaimers...

This blog is about life experiences & observations and stuff I am interested in. It is simply a side hobby and creative outlet; generally, with a tongue-in-cheek tone. I don't take it too seriously, nor should you. I do not profess to represent every point of view. Nothing on this site is a paid post.

It is for entertainment purposes only it, so just lighten up and just enjoy it. Life is short, live in the moment.

As the author, thoughts/views have no affiliation to my clients, business colleagues or my company.

This blog is independent and free of any type of financial affiliations. Some images used are from the internet and sometimes hard to credit them, so if you own any and want them removed just send me a message.

No copyright infringement intended. I am not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious, or other laws from the reader’s country of origin or residence. The intention of this blog is to do no harm, defame, libel or offend anyone.