Saturday, July 24, 2010

Rick's Roadshow: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Day 1

Welcome back to Rick's Roadshow, from beautiful Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I have been looking forward to this stop because I knew very little about this nation except what I've seen in movies. I flew in on Malaysia Air, for the full experience. Just before landing they showed a video about the country. Malaysia is billed as "the most Asian country in Asia" because it has a wide variety of Asian peoples represented here. It has a constitutional monarchy, with a ceremonial king. Interestingly there are 8 different Sultans here, across its 13 states, one of whom is elected every 5 years to serve as king. Malaysia is very close to the equator with a tropical climate- very hot and humid. Much of my day was spent in meetings and visiting the retail pet market.It wasn't until later in the day that I had any time to squeeze in some sight seeing. Here are a few photos to share so far:

above: thee Thean Hou Chinese Temple, dedicated to the goddess Tian Hou, which means "the heavenly mother".


above: Downtown Kuala Lumpur has some very modern buildings within its financial district.


above: the famous Petronas Twin Towers. They are the tallest twin towers in the world. They were the tallest building from 1998 to 2004, until the Tapiei 101 tower was build and exceeded their height. I visited Taipei 101 just a few days ago, so it was cool to see these too.


above: the base of Petronas Towers, shown here with the Malaysian flag style banners.


above: inside the Petronas Towers, I liked the ceiling design, quite elegant!


above: Later in the evening, I stopped back to capture this incredible view of the towers at night. So dramatic with the white lights against the black sky! Look in the middle, you can see the moon below the bridge.


above: Kuala Lumpur has a nice blend of foliage and flowers that give the city a softer side.


above: This little lake was a place of tranquility in the center of it all.

EXCLUSIVE VIDEO FOOTAGE OF THE PETRONAS TOWERS AND PLAZA!


I hope you enjoy this little video clip of the plaza in front of the famed Petronas Towers. Thanks for stopping by Rick's Roadshow from Kuala Lumpur. Please join me again tomorrow for day 2 I have some sight seeing planned and will share more photos.
-Rick Rockhill

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this new career is really taking you places.. yes, literally! I'm so happy you get to see the world.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

wow rick, i had no idea! i somehow thought it was like a tropical beach hut place. i am amazed. it is lovely!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxo

Rick Rockhill said...

Bee- wait til you see tomorrow's post, it will really amaze you!!!

Lois- yep, I definitely made the right choice in my career change.

KathyA said...

Kuala Lumpur (did I spell it right this time?) is not what I expected at all! Very modern and not as 'jungle-ey' although the plants are lush.
So how do you find the people there? Is the city clean and safe like Korea and Japan?
You sound so much happier now -- not that you complained or even seemed sad before. It's just different! I'm very happy for you.

kenju said...

I knew it was modern, but the towers are fantastic!! I've always wanted to go there - the very name of the city intrigues me!

Disclaimers...

This blog is about life experiences & observations and stuff I am interested in. It is simply a side hobby and creative outlet; generally, with a tongue-in-cheek tone. I don't take it too seriously, nor should you. I do not profess to represent every point of view. Nothing on this site is a paid post.

It is for entertainment purposes only it, so just lighten up and just enjoy it. Life is short, live in the moment.

As the author, thoughts/views have no affiliation to my clients, business colleagues or my company.

This blog is independent and free of any type of financial affiliations. Some images used are from the internet and sometimes hard to credit them, so if you own any and want them removed just send me a message.

No copyright infringement intended. I am not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious, or other laws from the reader’s country of origin or residence. The intention of this blog is to do no harm, defame, libel or offend anyone.