Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Deliciously Decadent Dates of the Desert

I thought I'd write about something different that you don't often see in the Blogosphere. It's about Dates. Not the kind that involve dinner and a movie, but the kind you can eat. We grow dates here in the Palm Springs area. There are many different varieties of dates that grow in the Coachella valley; each with their own unique taste and texture. You may be surprised to know that dates are actually good for you. They are rich in several vitamins and minerals; they contain things like oil, calcium, sulphur, iron, potassium, phosphorous, manganese, copper and magnesium. In other words, one date is a minimum of a balanced and healthy diet. Dates are also rich in natural fiber, and are excellent for healthy digestion. And, if that were not enough, dates can also help maintain healthy eyes. So do yourself a favor and eat some dates. There are lots of ways to prepare dates; for example in this photo, they are sliced in half, stuffed with cheese and whole almonds. Here are some other deliciously decadent ways to enjoy dates:

above: cut a slice and insert a small wedge of hard cheese.
above: Stuffed with walnuts and shredded coconut
above: Wrapped in bacon and baked...

above: Drenched in chocolate
So the next time you see dates at a store or on a menu, go ahead and try them, it's a little piece of Palm Springs.
-Rick Rockhill

18 comments:

Tea N. Crumpet said...

Yum-- stuffed with a piece of hard cheese. Now that looks good!

Anonymous said...

My grandparents lived in Riverside and we were introduced to many different date concoctions over the years - mmmmmmmmm!

Anonymous said...

Interesting stuffed suggestion. But I'll go with the drenched chocolate. ;-) Steven

Anonymous said...

I love dates... the chocolate seems a bit over the top, though...

Anonymous said...

I love the date shakes at the roadside stands in the valley. There is one place in particular that I can't remember the name of on the way to the Salton Sea. Jack Wu always has a coupon for a free shake. Ha!

Sunshine said...

Yet ANOTHER item wrapped in bacon.


The prosecution rests.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i love dates! and cake! just sayin'...

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxooxox

Jeni said...

Dates are GREAT! My kids and I love 'em chopped up too and mixed in with oatmeal, cooked with butter and brown sugar in the cooking water. MMMMM, good! I just made myself hungry now for a big bowl of cooked oatmeal -not the instant, "in-a-packet" kind.

Diane J Standiford said...

We love dates here, what great ideas. Thanks!

Maggie Moo said...

I wish I liked dates. I've tried, I just can't like 'em.

Now, if I had a DATE date then maybe these dates would taste better. :)

Olivia said...

My mother adores dates and you'd think I'd learn something from her. I know they are mighty good for you. But they remind me of cockroaches, sorry!

As I also find them too sweet, if I did like them I'd prefer to wrap them in prosciutto di parma rather than bacon.

snowelf said...

Those bacon wrapped dates are really yummy. My mom used to make them for dinner parties and holidays all the time!

--snow

Canadian flake said...

never been a fan of dates...but these sure do look yummy

Naomi said...

Love the foodie posts you do on this blog Rick. I've always loved dates. Never thought of wrapping them in bacon though and eating as a savoury dish. They look delicious!

Cheryl said...

I'm not a date fan, but I'm fascinated by the bags over the dates. Do tell.

Laura said...

I just LOVE dates.When I was pregnant with my son, I lived on them, had dreams about them....gorged on them. Yummy, yummy dates. The only thing better? Dates and coconut!

But the bacon? That's just wrong on so many levels.

Sheila said...

How different! My mom used to make bacon-wrapped dates. She also had a wonderful and definitely not dreadful recipe for fruit cake which called for dates. Great post.

Unknown said...

What an interesting, interesting post! I would have never thought of doing anything like that with a date! ;) Wow!

I'm just so plain...I've only ever had dates in date squares or just as is.

Disclaimers...

This blog is about life experiences & observations and stuff I am interested in. It is simply a side hobby and creative outlet; generally, with a tongue-in-cheek tone. I don't take it too seriously, nor should you. I do not profess to represent every point of view. Nothing on this site is a paid post.

It is for entertainment purposes only it, so just lighten up and just enjoy it. Life is short, live in the moment.

As the author, thoughts/views have no affiliation to my clients, business colleagues or my company.

This blog is independent and free of any type of financial affiliations. Some images used are from the internet and sometimes hard to credit them, so if you own any and want them removed just send me a message.

No copyright infringement intended. I am not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious, or other laws from the reader’s country of origin or residence. The intention of this blog is to do no harm, defame, libel or offend anyone.