Saturday, March 15, 2008

An Evening with Health Guru, Dr Andrew Weil

This weekend I am in Anaheim attending the Natural Products Expo West trade show. It is a huge show with all kinds of cool stuff here. Aside from my professional work reasons for being here, I am also an advocate for organic foods. I believe that our foods should not contain any pesticides, growth-hormones, chemical fertilizers, antibiotics, irradiation, genetically modified ingredients, or artificial colors or flavors. Recent science shows that organic foods are actually healthier and minimize a variety of health problems. One of the leading advocates for organic products is health guru Dr Andrew Weil, who I had the pleasure of meeting once again Friday evening. I attended a small reception where Dr Weil was speaking about pet foods and the benefits of sustainable farming and ranching as well as organic food production. I was a guest of the folks at Pet Promise brand dog & cat food, a company founded to create a pure pet food; committed to natural growing methods and a healthy environment. Dr Weil actually endorses Pet Promise because of how they produce food. He is a very impressive guy who has a calming effect when you meet him. Later I attended the Organic Trade Association reception, followed by The Organic Center VIP dinner where Dr Weil addressed the audience. I sat at the Pet Promise table, who are big supporters of the Organic Center. The evening was hosted by "green living expert" and TV host Sara Snow, who introduced Dr Weil to an audience of manufacturers, retailers, organic farmers and ranchers.

above: Evening festivities at the Organic Trade Association reception...a man on stilts and a great band that entertained attendees who snacked on organic cheese and crackers and organic wines and beers.
Earlier in the day...

above left: The human Pear and Tomato were awfully friendly! above right: I stopped at one booth with organic chocolate. This burlap bag was filled with real cacao beans and smelled delicious. It was a great start to the show..but plenty more to go on Saturday and Sunday...so stay tuned for the next update.
-Rick Rockhill

11 comments:

Diane J Standiford said...

What FUN! Pet food has improved so much over the years.

Rhodester said...

My wife grew up in a central California farming community where a lot of pesticides are sprayed on crops - her third arm lends absolute validation to what you're saying :-)

Oh, and she also glows in the dark, which is really kind of hot but I won't get into that..

Anonymous said...

I'll take two tomatoes and a pear please! ;)
Looks like a wonderfully organic event!

Desert Songbird said...

We started switching to organic foods about nine months ago. I don't know if it's mental, but I feel as if it's made a difference in how we feel. At least in how we are living, you know?

A Lewis said...

Have you heard of the cooking magazine "Clean Cooking"? It's awesome!

Marlupe said...

I've read a few of his books, he is very interesting actually. how cool that you met him.

whimsical brainpan said...

I hear his books are great. I haven't read them yet but they are on my "to read" list.

Glad things got off to a good start.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I was once a human pear would look really great on a resume!

My husband spends a fortune buying organic stuff. We're fat but we're a healthy fat from eating healthy foods!

Sheila said...

I read one of Dr. Weil's books and respect him a great deal. Another great photo too for you.

Anonymous said...

It looks like the pear was subjected to a lot of squeezing and feeling at the produce stand. ;-) Steven

Naomi said...

I've heard of Dr Weil Rick. He's well respected in the industry. Another great photo opportunity for you. I don't like additives in food either and try to buy organic wherever possible.

Disclaimers...

This blog is about life experiences & observations and stuff I am interested in. It is simply a side hobby and creative outlet; generally, with a tongue-in-cheek tone. I don't take it too seriously, nor should you. I do not profess to represent every point of view. Nothing on this site is a paid post.

It is for entertainment purposes only it, so just lighten up and just enjoy it. Life is short, live in the moment.

As the author, thoughts/views have no affiliation to my clients, business colleagues or my company.

This blog is independent and free of any type of financial affiliations. Some images used are from the internet and sometimes hard to credit them, so if you own any and want them removed just send me a message.

No copyright infringement intended. I am not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious, or other laws from the reader’s country of origin or residence. The intention of this blog is to do no harm, defame, libel or offend anyone.