Friday, May 30, 2008

Rick's Roadshow: Last Day in London

Rick's Roadshow continues from London. Yesterday was a free day for me, from a work perspective I had taken Thursday as a "vacation day" in order to have one full day to do anything I wanted. The day flew by much too quickly! I had all sorts of plans, but the time just slipped away. My day started with a traditional full "English Breakfast" (fried eggs, bacon, sausage, mushroom, tomato, baked beans, wheat toast, fresh squeezed orange juice and a pot of tea). With that fuel, I was ready for a busy day in Central London! Off I went to shop at the legendary Harrod's department store to pick up a few things. Much of the afternoon was just being out and about in the city and enjoying my last full day in London. The big finale, so to speak was dinner at the Institute of Director's Club (IoD). The IOD is an exclusive club in a magnificent building, located adjacent to Buckingham Palace. I was the guest of cousin Sean, who has hosted me at his club on previous visits to London. As you can see from these photos, it is quite posh. Here I am standing in front of a beautiful portrait of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, painted quite early in her reign.

above: I took a moment to relax in the Great Hall at the IoD. Here I sit, underneath the portrait of the Queen Mum, (now deceased)


above left: This is the grand staircase at the entrance of the IoD. above right: The dining room at the IoD. If you look carefully, the walls have enormous portraits of all sorts of historically important Brits: Prime Ministers, Royals, and Generals.

above left: Cousin Sean and I dined in this cozy corner of the IoD dining room, which had lovely views of Buckingham Palace. above right: after dinner we left the club and went to the Rose Room at the Sofitel hotel for some champagne.
Earlier in the day....
above: Westminster Abbey.

above and below: close up detail of the exterior of Westminster Abbey, which is stunning.

above: the very top of the statue at Picadilly Circus.
above: nothing extraordinary, but a view in and out of St John's church near Covent Garden. I just liked the way it all looked.

above: at Harrod's department store, in the Egyptian Room in the lower level. It is unlike any retail experience you've ever had anywhere else in the world. Rick's Roadshow is nearing it's end. Tomorrow I'll post a few last photos of this journey. Thanks for stopping by today!
-Rick Rockhill

14 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

This has been such a treat, Rick...Going all over London with youy....The pictures are terrific...And I love the place with the Red Couch....I could just sit there for hours and hours!

Do you have to come back so soon? More London, Please! (lol)

Anonymous said...

Hangin' with the Queen, eh? ;)

Rick Rockhill said...

Old Lady of the Hills- I am sorry to leave...London has always been a special place for me.

Seamus- I wouldn't have it any other way!

tt said...

Thanks for sharing all those photos. It's been a remarkable trip for'me'....and I know you've had a perfectly wonderful time.
BonVoyage!

Desert Songbird said...

You took in quite a bit this trip. It's been fun tagging along!

Anonymous said...

This is my first time here...great site. (I came from Down River Drivel). I'll be back...especially for more inspirational advice from Dr. Wang

Rhodester said...

Rick, get your arse back to Palm Springs, the place is going downhill FAST.. they just opened a new McDonald's next to us.

A MCDONALD'S!

Next thing you know they'll be giving donkey rides and holding one of those carnivals where they set up rides in a parking lot and all of the attendants smell like cheap wine and stale cigarettes.

Please get back here and open an art gallery or something.

Casdok said...

Great to hear you have been enjoying our great country!!

Lola Starr said...

You've been in London? Sweet!!! I haven't been in forever. I did just recently have someone ask me to possibly more there with them though....

Naomi said...

Sounds like you had a great day in London Rick. It's a shame you didn't get to meet the Queen in person. That would have made a great photo opportunity! Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos. I live in the North West of England, close to Manchester but I've been to London several times. I was actually lucky enough to meet Mr Al Fayed when I visited Harrods a few years ago. Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip

A Lewis said...

We were able to attend a regularly scheduled service at Westminster and then an organ concert....which we sat in the very front row for. It was fantastic...and on the top of our list of amazing things we've done in our lives.

Olivia said...

Awww darn, I was supposed to go to the IOD with my cousin Elizabeth who is director of the consortium of charities or something, she had invited me for my birthday last year but something cropped up and we couldn't do it.
Also my former landlord in St John's Wood was a member and used to hold board meetings there.
It's a beautiful building.

Olivia said...

Well, at least I can say I've dined at Home House, and was once a member of the Arts Club. I would have liked to host you there when we met up.

Marlupe said...

looks like you had a wonderful trip, thanks for taking all the time to post these photos and tell us all about it.

Disclaimers...

This blog is about life experiences & observations and stuff I am interested in. It is simply a side hobby and creative outlet; generally, with a tongue-in-cheek tone. I don't take it too seriously, nor should you. I do not profess to represent every point of view. Nothing on this site is a paid post.

It is for entertainment purposes only it, so just lighten up and just enjoy it. Life is short, live in the moment.

As the author, thoughts/views have no affiliation to my clients, business colleagues or my company.

This blog is independent and free of any type of financial affiliations. Some images used are from the internet and sometimes hard to credit them, so if you own any and want them removed just send me a message.

No copyright infringement intended. I am not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious, or other laws from the reader’s country of origin or residence. The intention of this blog is to do no harm, defame, libel or offend anyone.