Friday, May 2, 2008

Rick's Roadshow: Northern New Hampshire

Welcome to another edition of Rick's Roadshow. Yesterday my travels took me to northern New Hampshire, where I drove six or so hours north of Boston- almost to the Canadian border. The drive is quite scenic, the quaint New England towns are finally emerging from a long winter. As I drove further north, some of the pine trees along the roads and mountains had freshly fallen snow, which was very pretty. The Great North Woods Region of New Hampshire is quite different from southern New Hampshire, it seems to have its own weather pattern at times. During my brief stay, we had on and off snow flurries and temperatures as low as 26 degrees! Yikes, just a little cooler than our weather back in Palm Springs! I am happy to present a series of photos of my journey so far, I hope you enjoy them.

above: I wonder if this "Welcome" sign is for people or the moose?

above: Spring ski season is over...these snow trails were mostly melted.
above: I love the contrast of these deep green pine trees against the mountains and trees in the distance.

above: It started to snow again as I was taking this photo.
above: I took this sign seriously-and kept an eye out for moose...and flying squirrels too!

above: The lakes had mostly all melted by now, but there was some ice drifting along the surface still.

above: This view of the lake from my parent's house still shows some more patches of ice floating along the lake front.

above: A more serene view of the lake. I took this photo from the balcony at my parent's home.

above: For this photo, I walked down to the edge of the lake, looking north. It was a beautiful morning.

above: There is a natural fresh water spring on my parent's property. It's tough to see in this photo, but the water is flowing where the deep green moss is, it has really cold water that flows non-stop, back into the lake.


above: here's a cute squirrel for the finale and "awwwww" factor. Please join me again tomorrow for day two of Rick's Roadshow. I will be skipping my Saturday Seven post due to my travels, but you will get to see more photos from New England, so do come back!
-Rick Rockhill

13 comments:

TWISI said...

where are you off to now?

whimsical brainpan said...

Safe travels!

tt said...

Yay...road trip...
can't wait to hear all about it.
;)

Anonymous said...

safe travels!

Desert Songbird said...

What beautiful countryside. I've never been to NH/VT/Maine, and only have traveled marginally in other parts of New England. It looks wonderful.

Have a safe trip, Rick.

Maggie Moo said...

Fantastic pictures Rick! I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to meet while you were here in Boston...so close!!! Maybe next time. :) Glad you had a good trip.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

The contrast of this and Palm Springs is quite wonderful, isn't it? Beautiful pictures, Rick. I haven't been up to that whole area for many many years. So good to see it through your eyes...Especially the Beautiful spot where your parents live! Hope you are having a fabulous time!

Mx said...

lucky......

tt said...

Beautiful!! did the signs and scenery make you think about 'Bullwinkle and Rocky'? :)
I did...and it made me smile ...some more.
Have a great rest of your trip!

Olivia said...

So you're a New England lad. I should have guessed.

Do you miss the winters?

lime said...

great shots! and yes i'd take those moose signs seriously too.

Marlupe said...

those moose would scare the bejezus out of me!

Laura said...

I'm sorry, Rick, but the mere thought of you in The Great North Woods, let alone dodging moose had me rolling in hysterics. The only thing that could have made this post better would have been a picture of you wearing a flannel shirt and an ear flap hat!

Disclaimers...

This blog is about life experiences & observations and stuff I am interested in. It is simply a side hobby and creative outlet; generally, with a tongue-in-cheek tone. I don't take it too seriously, nor should you. I do not profess to represent every point of view. Nothing on this site is a paid post.

It is for entertainment purposes only it, so just lighten up and just enjoy it. Life is short, live in the moment.

As the author, thoughts/views have no affiliation to my clients, business colleagues or my company.

This blog is independent and free of any type of financial affiliations. Some images used are from the internet and sometimes hard to credit them, so if you own any and want them removed just send me a message.

No copyright infringement intended. I am not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious, or other laws from the reader’s country of origin or residence. The intention of this blog is to do no harm, defame, libel or offend anyone.