Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Saturday Seven: Favorite Things in London

Greetings from the United Kingdom! For the next two weeks I'll be in England and Germany on a business trip, but I'll still be blogging daily. So get ready for another installment of "Rick's Roadshow", starting tomorrow. I'm always happy to be back in England. Back in the early 80's I lived in London and fell in love with the city. This will be my 14th trip back to England and I'll still find things that I've never seen before. Of course, London is famous for many things, but there are several things in particular that I always enjoy in particular. This brings me to another scintillating edition of
The Saturday Seven: Favorite Things in London.

#1 Buckingham Palace- The official London residence of HM Queen Elizabeth II. I never grow tired of seeing this historic, iconic building.

#2 Oxford Circus (and Picadilly Circus too)- Major thoroughfares in central London where multiple busy streets converge. Fantastic shopping, lots of hub-bub and great for people watching too.

#3 Old English Pubs- of which there are many. Thousands actually. London has many unique, ancient pubs where the beer just taste better than anywhere else.

#4 Windsor Castle- OK, technically it's in the city of Windsor and not London, but this is my blog so I'm including it. Unlike Buckingham Palace, the Queen actually owns Windsor Castle. It's a family residence, not a government building.

#5 Harrod's Department Store- This legendary retailer is the Neiman Marcus of England. Everything is fabulous at Harrods!


#6 Houses of Parliament- These ancient, hallowed halls have been the heart of British government for a very very long time. The architecture is magnificent and awesome to look at.

#7 The London Underground ("The Tube")- Arguably one of the best metro underground public transport systems in the world (who cares about Paris). It's always a treat to ride the Tube and hear those wacky announcements "Mind The Gap". All other announcements are unintelligible.

Well that's all for today. This weekend is my personal time in London so I should have some good stuff to post! Happy Saturday!
-Rick Rockhill

14 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i loved london rick!!! i haven't been there for many years but remember all that too! looking forward to more!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Olivia said...

I hope you brought a coat and an umbrella! We already had our summer last weekend!

CRUSTY MOM-E said...

Enjoy your travels in Europe!! :)
Always,
Elizabeth

Lilian said...

Rick--
I totally admire your dedication to your great blog! I have never been in London, and I'm already enjoying what you are posting about this city. Thanks so much ...

kenju said...

I'm looking forward to more. These were all very good choices.

Anonymous said...

You forgot #8: That Skinny Blonde Chick!

Hope you're having a wonderful time! Eat lots of fried things and drink lots of beer. But don't forget London is becoming a wine town, too, so don't forget to attend lots of wine bars!

snowelf said...

Rick! Have a fabulous time! And I can't wait to see the trip through your eyes! :)

--snow

Jodi said...

You get to go EVERYWHERE!!!

J.

Marion said...

I'm looking forward to reading all about your trip, Rick...and have a great time.

A Lewis said...

Happy journeys! London is one of our favorites too. Most definitely.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Lovely, Lovely! I stayed right between Buckingham Palace and Harrods both times I was in Lobdon at a BEAUTIFUL Hotel called The Lanesborough....It is so wonderful to see these dear amazingly beautiful places once again....It has been 14 years since I was in London....But it feels like it was much more recent than that....!

Unknown said...

Lovely, lovely! So happy you're having a great time! I'm also glad you're taking lots and lots of photos! Yay! :)

Happy travels, Rick!

WAT said...

Sigh...

Someday I shall be able to blog about a trip like this to the capital of the British Empire. Abbey Road, I will be there someday soon...

David said...

Sorry I missed you. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Disclaimers...

This blog is about life experiences & observations and stuff I am interested in. It is simply a side hobby and creative outlet; generally, with a tongue-in-cheek tone. I don't take it too seriously, nor should you. I do not profess to represent every point of view. Nothing on this site is a paid post.

It is for entertainment purposes only it, so just lighten up and just enjoy it. Life is short, live in the moment.

As the author, thoughts/views have no affiliation to my clients, business colleagues or my company.

This blog is independent and free of any type of financial affiliations. Some images used are from the internet and sometimes hard to credit them, so if you own any and want them removed just send me a message.

No copyright infringement intended. I am not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious, or other laws from the reader’s country of origin or residence. The intention of this blog is to do no harm, defame, libel or offend anyone.