Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The Colony Palms Hotel

I'm actually in Anaheim all this week, but had saved this post from the weekend for today. Tomorrow I'll do something fun from Anaheim, but in the meantime...

The Colony Palms Hotel has finally reopened after an extensive renovation and restoration to it's former glory. It originally opened in the 1930's and eventually became a haven for the young Hollywood set seeking an escape from the scrutiny of Los Angeles paparazzi. It was the Hollywood searchlights that caught my eye on evening as I was driving through downtown. When I realized it was for the Colony Palms, I decided to pop in and check it out. There were several old cars parked out front: a 1941 Packard, and a Ford Galaxie, which must have been from the late 50's or thereabouts. Tiki lights burning on the grounds led the way into the retro hotel. The main entrance opens up into the courtyard and pool, with fountains, and a wrap-around view of the facility.

I was in a bit of a hurry but made my way through to the Purple Palm Restaurant & Lounge. It has a certain swagger about it, with interesting accents and Moroccan influences. It feels very retro, and is the perfect spot to enjoy a martini. I felt like Humphrey Bogart was going to walk in any second.

The menu looks excellent...but I was in a bit of a hurry and couldn't stay, so The Purple Palm will have to wait until next weekend. Stay tuned...

-Rick Rockhill

5 comments:

Naomi said...

Nice hotel. Now you have something to look forward to for next weekend Rick. I'm sure you'll have an enjoyable time

Canadian flake said...

Have a great time and don't work too hard. I always enjoy the pics you snap on your adventures.

Greg said...

Nice-looking hotel. One of these days, we have to make a trip out to Palm Springs. It's been at least 20 years for me.

CRUSTY MOM-E said...

it looks heavenly!! Now I'm craving a vacation.
Always,
Crusty~

Rick Rockhill said...

Well Crusty- if you ever decide to visit Palm Springs, just let me know, I'll point you to all the best spots!

Disclaimers...

This blog is about life experiences & observations and stuff I am interested in. It is simply a side hobby and creative outlet; generally, with a tongue-in-cheek tone. I don't take it too seriously, nor should you. I do not profess to represent every point of view. Nothing on this site is a paid post.

It is for entertainment purposes only it, so just lighten up and just enjoy it. Life is short, live in the moment.

As the author, thoughts/views have no affiliation to my clients, business colleagues or my company.

This blog is independent and free of any type of financial affiliations. Some images used are from the internet and sometimes hard to credit them, so if you own any and want them removed just send me a message.

No copyright infringement intended. I am not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious, or other laws from the reader’s country of origin or residence. The intention of this blog is to do no harm, defame, libel or offend anyone.