Friday, August 17, 2007

Final Day in Anaheim, CA

Yesterday morning I stopped at the Starbucks inside the hotel for a cup of hot tea to soothe my throat. It was raspy from a lack of sleep, and from straining my voice in the lounge the night before to speak above the bar chatter. As I approached the cashier to order, I glanced at the chalkboard on the wall and was surprised to see a big "Welcome" greeting with my company's dog and cat logo, including our famous tag line: "where the pets go". It was a pleasant surprise, one which prompted me to leave my change from the transaction in the "tip jar" for the staff.

While walking to the convention center I passed these rows of palm trees, towering over my head. And then a few short minutes later I had ascended to the top floor and found myself looking down over the top of those very same palm trees. Anyway, it doesn't seem like much now but I thought it was an interesting change in my perspective. .

Anyway, I was rushing to the convention center Ballroom for my early morning address at the General Session. I checked in with the production team and was promptly sent to our backstage "hair and makeup" stylist. She looked me over and decided I needed "some work". Apparently, my eyes are set too far back and my forehead seemed shiny. She proceeded to apply some sort of makeup, AND to my horror, a "natural" color lipstick. I knew I'd be on stage under hot lights and on camera, but I didn't think it would be necessary to wear lipstick. I'm still waiting for a photo from our staff photographers-perhaps I can post it next week, but colleagues in the audience who watched me on "the big screen" said they didn't notice I was "made up" (whew).
Shortly after my presentation, they served fresh organic fruit on skewers. Some of them were even drizzled with organic chocolate (see photo above right). It was a refreshing snack. Looking at all six tables of the fresh fruit, it was hard to believe it cost $4,000. I should go into the catering business.
Well, sorry for the boring posts all this week. I guess I was too busy doing "work" to capture the really exciting aspects of our trade show. (And today I was scraping for this post). I'm heading back home to Palm Springs today, and I'm taking next Monday and Tuesday off from work so I can recharge my batteries. That will also give me some time to get caught up on everyone else's blogs. Thanks for stopping by today.
-Rick Rockhill

8 comments:

Sunshine said...

My best friend from high school worked for PetCo for years in San Diego, she got to travel often but "retired" a year ago (when she moved). Looks like they hire really good people if you work for them too!

Guilty Secret said...

Well I think those palm tree photos are pretty cool ;)

Steven said...

It's only you who are calling the posts boring. What you provided was an insight to your career which intrigues others. Have a safe trip back and enjoy the recharge next week.

Anonymous said...

you're right rick, the catering business canbe very lucrative. Actually $4,000 isn't bad for all those tables full of fresh fruit, (especially if it is organic). Looks like you had a fun week.

SIMON said...

Scraping round for a post
Blogger rule #342 - Photograph food!

Nice one Rick!

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

well the fruit looks good to me no matter what it cost! (smile)

and the posts are not boring either rick...

smiles, bee

Canadian flake said...

Safe travels home. Don't worry your posts weren't boring. I enjoy living vicariously through your travels...lol. Thanks again for sharing.

Anonymous said...

$4000 a snip at that price especially with the current rates of exchange into sterling..... and what's this about "hot" tea AND Starbucks....???? tut tut I can see I'm going to have to fly over and to some training at the next trade show...

Disclaimers...

This blog is about life experiences & observations and stuff I am interested in. It is simply a side hobby and creative outlet; generally, with a tongue-in-cheek tone. I don't take it too seriously, nor should you. I do not profess to represent every point of view. Nothing on this site is a paid post.

It is for entertainment purposes only it, so just lighten up and just enjoy it. Life is short, live in the moment.

As the author, thoughts/views have no affiliation to my clients, business colleagues or my company.

This blog is independent and free of any type of financial affiliations. Some images used are from the internet and sometimes hard to credit them, so if you own any and want them removed just send me a message.

No copyright infringement intended. I am not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious, or other laws from the reader’s country of origin or residence. The intention of this blog is to do no harm, defame, libel or offend anyone.