Saturday, August 11, 2007

The Saturday Seven: My Worst Phobias

Yesterday, during my two hour drive back to Palm Springs, I had plenty of time to let my mind wander. It's one of the reasons I don't mind the drive between San Diego and Palm Springs, I rarely have the luxury of time to think quietly, without interruption. Usually I have pleasant thoughts of this-n-that, but yesterday my thoughts took a strange turn. I started out thinking how much I was enjoying my new car. It was so clean....a pristine interior unspoiled by human life. I thought, wow wouldn't it be great if life could always be like a new car? You feel safe, secure, it's clean and uncluttered, and not to mention that wonderful "new car smell". Gradually my thoughts turned to all the things that are the antithesis. My fears, phobias and things that I generally waste time worrying about. It started quite simply-gee in a few weeks this steering wheel will probably need to be cleaned. It will get all covered with germs...Hmmm I'll have to remember to clean it. And then...gosh I hope this car never gets stolen. I hate bad people who steal things. And it continued, when stopped at a traffic signal, a bug of some sort dropped off a tree and onto the windshield. That was it. So at the risk of sounding like a complete nutter, I present another scintillating edition of
The Saturday Seven: My Worst Phobias
#1 Mean, Scary Bugs (living in the desert, its always a concern)

#2 Snakes! How I hate snakes

#3 Anything that touches or comes near my eye. I am so jittery about my eyes

#4 Big Hairy Spiders- these are in a league of their own from mean scary bugs

#5 Burglars- I hate being home alone. The alarm system is my best friend

#6 Dirty Hands- Why-oh-why can't people WASH THEIR HANDS?

#7 Sharks- this is why I rarely swim in the ocean. Seriously. I'll take my pool any day.

Bonus entry- Food Poisoning. It's a wonder I ever eat out.


Now for the record, I am not completely OCD here. I function fine in life...these phobias don't control or prevent me from doing things, it's just stuff I think about...a bit too much! What about YOU? What are YOUR phobias and fears? Go ahead, chime in with yours...I'd love to hear what else is out there. I'm running a special today- there is NO CHARGE TO LEAVE COMMENTS!
-Rick Rockhill

17 comments:

captain corky said...

Lightning freaks my shit out man. Especially here in Kentucky. There are some crazy lightning storms here. wrath of God type stuff. I'm not to kean on planes either...

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

really good post rick! i have so many spiders here in podunk! and snakes too. yuk! i used to have a horrible fear of bridges but got over it, i would have to pull the car over and get my head together before i could go over one. going to key west was a nightmare! now i am rethinking my getting over it since that bridge fell. have a great weekend!

smiles, bee

P.L. Frederick said...

Gossip. More specifically, Proper Old Lady Gossip. Like at the small dinner get-together I attended this past week. Horror!

P.L. Frederick
SMALL & big

Lola Starr said...

Ants freak me out. Big time. I don`t like bridges but am a little better with them now. Heights make me dizzy. Oh and clowns. Clowns scare the hell out of me. And dolls.

Lisa said...

Spiders...check.
Big gross bugs...check.

I just watched a thing on Discovery (why? I don't know) about scorpions. One scene was a scorpion killing and eating a tarantula. I'm gagging thinking about it.

I'm also terrified of heights. So much so, that standing close to the edge on a balcony or deck freaks me out. Let's not even talk about being on a ladder...

SIMON said...

Although I liked that post it was very hard for me to read and I'm only commenting because it's free and I haven't read any of the comments above because I'm a Phobiaphobiac!!

Good Weekend Rick now you hear!!

A Lewis said...

Okay, I don't want anyone laughing or pointing fingers and calling me names....but animals (even cats, dogs) used to be my phobia....didn't grow up around animals and until recently wouldn't even let one touch me or me touch it. Things are progressing, I may add.
i would throw sharks and water into the mix (ocean,river, lakes). Also heights.....like being near the edge on a tall building...ICK! Oh, and then there's claustrophobia.....definitely have to keep an eye on that.....

Burfica said...

bugs bugs and more bugs. Spiders included. I only like ladybugs and butterflies.

Deep water. I can sorta swim, but deep water freaks me out.

Clowns!!!! Not scared of them per say, they just freak me the hell out!!! and I really hate them!!!

Food poisoning sucks major ass too. Had it about 3 months ago. Misserable.

(M)ary said...

my worst phobia is riding on elevators...in fact i was interviewed for a New York Times article on elevator phobia...lovely...my neurotic behavior is completely reinforced by attention.
****
my car currently has a bunch dandelions on the floor (because i pick them as i am leaving for work and don't have time to pitch them in the trash.) and for the record, in the 5 years i have had the car, i have never washed the steering wheel. until i read your blog, it never occurred to me that germs would gather there.

lime said...

ok, i could not even give a cursory glance at your burglar. after having endured a home invasion robbery from 3 maksed gunmen ski masks completely freak me out. i don't even want to see them in a store just hanging on a rack. no sir, can't do it. that's my top of the list phobia.

Sh@ney said...

I can handle being surpised by a snake, but Creepy Crawlies are No 1 for me. Public Speaking would have to be No 2. When I was young I remember my brother putting a Christmas Beetle in my hair & it became entangled. I chucked such a big hissy fit & thankfully my brother got a bitch slap he would not forget in a hurry. I guess my other big fear is Losing my Folks I dream about it all the time, I don't think I will handle it to well at all!

Tea said...

Hi Rick,

That`s an easy question for me. Winter driving. I hate snow on the roads and in the air. Snow is for looking at through a window, by a fire, with a nice glass of wine.
Lucky you, not having to deal with that one there.
Oh and deep water. I`ll never go on a cruise. The Titanic must have influenced me big time as a child....the original movie that is....not the actually event. Not quite that old yet :)

tea
xo

Canadian flake said...

I can handle most bugs but I don't DO bees well. I think it has something to do with the fact that I am allergic to them...lmao. I am not a fan of snakes either...or mice that like to crawl out of my basement at night...ewwwwwww.

Naomi said...

Spiders are definitely my phobia Rick! I can't go near them or pick them up. Great post.

Naomi said...

P.S. Just noticed the bit about you hope your car never gets stolen. I hate people who steal things too. I had a car stolen a few years ago and it was in such a state when they found it. Unfortunately that's the kind of world we live in now

Steven said...

Similar to #6, I have a fear of germ transfer on my hands. Any time that I open doors, I always will push the panic bar with my arm or tush. When it comes to doors with levers, I'm kinda screwed. ;-)

Paradox Philic said...

I share your fear for Snakes (urghhhhh....even writing the word sends a chill down my spine) , spiders , bugs and probably sharks (i dont live near the ocean , but if i do i am sure i would be dead scared of them too!)

Disclaimers...

This blog is about life experiences & observations and stuff I am interested in. It is simply a side hobby and creative outlet; generally, with a tongue-in-cheek tone. I don't take it too seriously, nor should you. I do not profess to represent every point of view. Nothing on this site is a paid post.

It is for entertainment purposes only it, so just lighten up and just enjoy it. Life is short, live in the moment.

As the author, thoughts/views have no affiliation to my clients, business colleagues or my company.

This blog is independent and free of any type of financial affiliations. Some images used are from the internet and sometimes hard to credit them, so if you own any and want them removed just send me a message.

No copyright infringement intended. I am not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious, or other laws from the reader’s country of origin or residence. The intention of this blog is to do no harm, defame, libel or offend anyone.